Notices

hey newbie here need a lil help please :)

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2009, 05:14 PM
al_P
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey newbie here need a lil help please :)

hi how is everyone i just need some help on a few things ...

firsly i am purchasing a wrx sti4 in the next week if what i am just about to say is not a big thing about the car ...

i went to look at a wrx sti4 the other day its a fresh import from japan its a 1997 model with 112km on the clock looks pretty nice tbh but when i started it up (i presume it had not been started up in a while as it had only just come in to the dealer) there was a ticking noise like a tappet noise coming from the right hand side where the valve cover is which after the engine started to warm up it went . any ideas could it just be a sticking valve??

one other thing is there is an oil leak coming from the back end of the oil pan but i could not see if it was just the seal on the oil pan which was leaking so i am asking if there is anything that it could be that is anything to worry about .

other minor things are a small leak in the exhaust centre flange which i could fix for 2.99
and just a few lil scuffs but i expect that on an 11 year old car anyway

there was no smoke from the turbo on start up , the idle is stabe , it holds its revs , the gearbox engages gears easy , its the red top engine with the paint peeling as usual lol , all the warning lights go out on start up , i will get the cam belts changed when i get it and give it a service as its better safe than sorry but is there anything else i should look for ??

thanks for readin -al-
Old 04 April 2009, 07:42 PM
al_P
Scooby Newbie

bump
Old 04 April 2009, 08:24 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

just my opinion but the ticking and the oil leek would be enough to make me go and look at others,there are quite a few about,why buy one with an oil leek?(just my opinion tho) im sure if u went to look at another one in the same sort of condition with no ticking and no oil leeking anywhere you would have a better piece of mind in parting with the cash! signs of it being thrashed????
Old 04 April 2009, 10:22 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

i was thinking hydralic lifters but i'm sure v4 had mechanical which wont tick when cold not 100% tho ???
Old 04 April 2009, 11:30 PM
al_P
Scooby Newbie

i would think that but the car is totally standard apart from the cat back exhaust it does not even have a dv or boost guage or even aftermarket steering wheel which most seem to have engine seems untouched if anyone has a picture of the underside of there car i could show you where the leak is ( btw its not a dripping leak its just a small damp bit on the back of the sump)
Old 05 April 2009, 01:10 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by al_P
... ( btw its not a dripping leak its just a small damp bit on the back of the sump)
Could it not simply be the rear crank oil seal? Not really a prob if not dripping much - just keep your eye on the oil level and get it replaced when you have/decide to get a new clutch (will only add about £20 to the bill IIRC...).
Old 05 April 2009, 04:58 PM
al_P
Scooby Newbie

i will have a look when i go down oh sold my astra cc btw wohoo roll on scooby