Notices

Is it really worth wrapping downpipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2009, 09:30 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is it really worth wrapping downpipe ?

Should of fitted some wrap before i fitted the sports cat but anyhoo,is it worht doing,as i`ll be doing it whilst its now on the car,it`ll be trickier but not impossible,but will it really make a difference,as the turbo itself stays alot hotter than the downpipe etc,plus the normal headers and the engine block itself just wondering if its worth it ?

ive fitted some p.c 120mm fans and fitted them along the strut brace so it expels the warm air,just a thought,wonder if it will do anything,worth a try i guess wondering if fitting some fans into the top mount would do anything for when staionary or in traffic
Old 22 March 2009, 10:38 AM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig
Should of fitted some wrap before i fitted the sports cat but anyhoo,is it worht doing,as i`ll be doing it whilst its now on the car,it`ll be trickier but not impossible,but will it really make a difference,as the turbo itself stays alot hotter than the downpipe etc,plus the normal headers and the engine block itself just wondering if its worth it ?

ive fitted some p.c 120mm fans and fitted them along the strut brace so it expels the warm air,just a thought,wonder if it will do anything,worth a try i guess wondering if fitting some fans into the top mount would do anything for when staionary or in traffic

Now that its on I wouldnt bother, its a skitter when its off and your trying to keep it tight, bearing in mind your working with it wet, trying to keep it sure to the pipe. if you end up doing this your heed will be for ever under the car checking it.
Old 22 March 2009, 10:54 AM
Rob-S
Scooby Regular

Not sure of the spec of your car but it's not really worth doing as the gasses are spent once through the turbo.
Old 22 March 2009, 11:24 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

cheers for the input guys.

spec isnt anything special.

standard engine wise really except for a sports decat (ninja) and a HKS Centre section and backbox (3" piping)

most my modding has been styling/suspension gauges etc

its a classic wrx.

cheers
Old 22 March 2009, 12:06 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Yes it can be worth wrapping your downpipe, but only at the top.
Its only to stop the heat from entering the engine bay and causing heatsoak for your topmount.
The less heat in the engine bay the better.

Would be an absolute b*****d to fit though
Old 22 March 2009, 01:16 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

OK I have wondered about this for a while and I have decided to have mine wrapped.
The thing is the down pipe is sort of under the inter cooler and when stationary the heat must rise and defeat the job of the inter cooler.
Also the OE down pipe has all the heat shield around it which must help, so when modding you don't want to take one step forward and two steps back.
So I would have thought if you are going through the time and effort of changing the down pipe its a must to get it wrapped.
If you think that you can wrap it when on the car mate have a go use plenty of ties and get it nice and tight, it can only make it better and will do no harm.
Old 22 March 2009, 01:22 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wrapping the down pipe also keeps the exhaust gasses hottes, and this will help them flow out of the exhaust better.

if it was me, i would heat wrap it
Old 22 March 2009, 02:41 PM
rewindnottm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaOne
wrapping the down pipe also keeps the exhaust gasses hottes, and this will help them flow out of the exhaust better.

if it was me, i would heat wrap it
i agree.

If the gases are hot then they move faster and thus exiting the exhaust quicker, in addition you retain the heat within the DP and exhaust and away from your TMIC if you have one
Old 22 March 2009, 10:35 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

I wrapped mine, mostly to get rid of some of the drone it makes, worked a treat, better on the motorway for sure.
Old 24 March 2009, 05:51 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
I wrapped mine, mostly to get rid of some of the drone it makes, worked a treat, better on the motorway for sure.
That's what I'm going to do mine ..... if it helps elsewhere so much the better !