Notices

weird overheating question...

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2009, 08:39 PM
MostlyMonki
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird overheating question...

I've got an ej20 turbo motor in an old vw beetle, and I'm having serious overheating problems, with no water circulating through the radiator.

I've looped the heater pipes, so i have a single hose going from the steel pipe on the coolant manifold directly to the thermostat housing. with the engine running, if i take off this pipe and block off the stat side, i would expect water to **** out of the manifold pipe.... but is doesnt. zero flow.

so... I'm assuming that my water pump is shagged. but if it were wouldnt it be making noizes/leaking? surely being mechanical and running off the belt would meant that it wouldnt just stop pumping all together!?

any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm supposed to be racing this car in 3 weeks!
Old 20 March 2009, 10:43 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

have you checked the stat? Sounds very strange. Im not sure if the pump has failed, it would still flow...
Old 20 March 2009, 11:39 PM
MostlyMonki
Scooby Newbie

replaced the stat just in case. stilll no good. i would expect water to get pumped round the engine (and therefore the heater circuit) even if the stat were closed though anyway.

how would coolant flow through the system without a working pump?

could anyone tell me if the pump can be broken withough any obvious sign (noise/leaking)?
Old 20 March 2009, 11:53 PM
Beardy
Scooby Regular

If you aint geting anyflow then surely your pump is shaged?
Old 21 March 2009, 12:01 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MostlyMonki
replaced the stat just in case. stilll no good. i would expect water to get pumped round the engine (and therefore the heater circuit) even if the stat were closed though anyway.

how would coolant flow through the system without a working pump?

could anyone tell me if the pump can be broken withough any obvious sign (noise/leaking)?
Someome on here had a broken pump - the turbine had sheared completely off the shaft!, so the belt wheel would be spinning but no water circulating. Also, obviously, no giveaway noises.

You sure you haven't got a basic airlock?! Is the bottom hose stone cold?

Last edited by joz8968; 21 March 2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 21 March 2009, 12:14 AM
MostlyMonki
Scooby Newbie

both rad hoses are stone cold. airlock was my first thought too, but I've spent probably a total of 12 hours so far this week messing about with it, bleeding via taking off various hoses and filling from different places etc, but still no joy.... i know the subaru coolant system is a pain to get filled without air, but not that bad.

i had it running last summer, but not over the winter, so I'm wondering if something froze over the winter and shagged the water pump, that possible?
Old 21 March 2009, 09:31 AM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MostlyMonki
both rad hoses are stone cold. airlock was my first thought too, but I've spent probably a total of 12 hours so far this week messing about with it, bleeding via taking off various hoses and filling from different places etc, but still no joy.... i know the subaru coolant system is a pain to get filled without air, but not that bad.

i had it running last summer, but not over the winter, so I'm wondering if something froze over the winter and shagged the water pump, that possible?
Hi mate, mine took me about 3 full days to bleed my coolent system (mid mounted ej20engine with front mounted rad), i was just about to give up and then all of a sudden my radiator and all the pipes felt hot and it started flowing, i jacked up the side of the car quite high where the header tank is which i think helped a lot and i
bled the air out the rad by taking off the small pipe that usually goes back to the header tank.

My thermostat has decided to stick closed now so ive got to replace it and do it all again..

I also filled the rad up first through the top hose .

James
Old 21 March 2009, 10:54 AM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-problems.html

Read this to eliminate airlocks
Old 23 March 2009, 12:18 PM
MostlyMonki
Scooby Newbie

read that, followed instructions and still no joy.

I've checked the pump wheel with the belt cover off and it is turning ok.

took the stat out completely to try and check for flow, and i have basically nothing. if i take the top rad hose off with the engine running, i have about a pint or two of water comes out (i assume from pressure build up from heat), then nothing at all. if i blow into the top hose i can force water out or the rad (i.e all the way through the system).... if i can do it then surely the pump would be able to!?

someone mentioned to me that a hwead gaskett failure could case an airlock in the engine.... but if that were the case then i wouldnd be able to blow water through the engine would i? also me oil and water both look clean, and i get no gass bubbled in the header tank.

I've got a new cambelt and pump coming today, so will fit them anyway. I'ts just a pain in the **** though, as I'm still worried that the water pump appears to be rotating but not actually pumping.... odd.
Old 23 March 2009, 12:59 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Could it be a knackered/blocked rad? Does it feel warm, evenly over the whole surface area? Or only in patches?... Or even stone cold?!
Old 23 March 2009, 02:11 PM
MostlyMonki
Scooby Newbie

nah the rads fine, just not getting water pumped to it . it's stone cold all over, as are both pipes.