Notices

knocking engine

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2009, 12:47 AM
esskiboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking engine

my scoobys developed a knock today...really come out of the blue.

heard a very dodgy rattle when i was driving fortunately it ws near my house so i got home and tried to find out what it was....knocking like a postman! at low revs mind from what i could tell

checked the oil and it said it had nothing in it which is strange as i just did an oil change like 1k miles ago...filled it up immediately only 2 litres and it was now reading more then full? didnt have any of my sensors coming on or anything.

anyway what is my options now? its a version 2 sti ra - if i buy a new engine does it have be another sti ra engine? or will a normal sti engine fit?

also where is a good place in london to get this work done? any good garages that wont charge and arm and a leg?

where is a good place to get a reconditioned engine?

any help would be great
ta
Old 16 March 2009, 01:01 AM
Bo_Duke
Scooby Regular

Right........Sounds like your engine bearings have failed due to lack of oil / oil surge / pump failure.

Oil should be checked every week on a turbo car not every 1000 mines, turbo cars can use up to 1 ltr per week.

The dipstick low and high marks indicate 1 ltr of oil contained in the sump of which you had used more than, hence starving the bearings of oil. If you put 2ltrs in after, then you dangerously overfilled it after the event. I'm guessing you were missing approx 1.5 ltr of oil prior to the event.

Right options...........

I'm guessing you cant recon the engine yourself and are looking for other options;

1. Replacement Engine - Has many risks, at least try to find one with a 3 mth come back waranty, then a friend or local garage to fit. Use forums for advice.

2. Recon / Rebuilt engine - More expensive than 2nd hand replacement but does come with piece of mind and if you intend to go for more power now is your chance.

Don't wanna burst your bubble mate but at this stage you can spend as much as you like, depends how deep your pockets are but minimum I would say your looking at £2000 for an Sti engine. Pretty much any impreza sti version engine will fit but again depends on how deep your pockets are.

Hope this helps and hope I havent sounded like too much of a ****.........I have been there myself mate........and I just knackered my box on a trackday at Caddy! I'm currently setting light to £50's, thats what owning an imprezza is all about unfortunately....but we still do it.
Old 16 March 2009, 01:06 AM
esskiboy
Scooby Regular

hi mate
nah youve said it straight up...never missed a beat for me so this has come really out of the blue.
pockets arent that deep mate but il start looking for a recon engine. just wondering as ive got a v2 sti will an engine from a v3/4 sti fit on the car without any further modications to the loom or anything?
thanks
Old 16 March 2009, 01:10 AM
Bo_Duke
Scooby Regular

No mods to the loom are needed but the way to go about it is change the sensors from your engine into the replacement engine then everything should be peachy.

For more info ask on the forum (I dont have a V2 or 3/4), I got a P1 which is a 5/6 but I know if I want to run a V4 motor I got to fit all my sensors to the V4 motor.
Old 16 March 2009, 01:12 AM
Bo_Duke
Scooby Regular

If car didn't cost you that much and pockets aren't that deep, then your best bet is to either go for a replacement engine with a 3 mth waranty.

If thats a bit steep still find the cheapest one you can (being sensible, try and hear it running....last thing you wanna do is fit it all then it knocks again) without a waranty and hope for the best!
Old 16 March 2009, 01:17 AM
Bo_Duke
Scooby Regular

Meant to also say, if you do go for a cheap unknown motor or even one with a waranty. Before it goes in, do yourself a favour and have the cambelt changes and your oil pump swapped for a Roger Clark Motor Sport oil pump.

Subaru's have oil pumps that are prone to failure without bringing on the oil warning light.......you have been warned......it may have already happened to you (but more likely because you were out of oil, kills an engine in seconds)
Old 16 March 2009, 01:28 AM
esskiboy
Scooby Regular

i agree mate ive def got to hear the engine work if possibly failing that some kind of warranty to gurantee it working is essential.

only thing im thinking with a v3 engine or newer is that the intercooler and turbo are in diff locations to the earlier v2 so im not sure if my v2 intercooler will fit a new engine..same concern regarding the exhaust and air filter.

how much is a RC oil pump? going to call a few breakers tomorrow and some tuners aswell and see what i can find.
Old 16 March 2009, 06:03 AM
shiftyoldscoob
Scooby Regular

Theres a guy on ebay selling recon sti engines for £995 and 50quid delivery...come with a 6month waranty too. I don't live in london but up north i know many a mechanich that would fit an engine for around 250/350 as long as everything he needs is there

My m8 I bought my scoob off bought an engine from the same company and so far it's been sweet as a nut!