Notices

Rear end movement ?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2009, 11:05 PM
Reggie74uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end movement ?

I have a 96 wrx sportswagon, when doing 60mph plus, more noticable when on the motorway it feels as though the back end of the car is almost hopping from side to side almost like driving an old Range Rover ?

I have had all four wheels ballanced and the front and rear toe checked and adjusted the tyres are wearing evenly and when i push down on each back corner of the car the suspension does not appear to be bouncing any more than normal

Any ideas/clues ?
Old 16 March 2009, 04:38 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

check the rear anti roll bar links, if one of those has snapped (known problem) then you would experience the symtoms you are describing
Old 16 March 2009, 04:55 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Check all the suspension components. Any of the bushes or links, and especially the top-mounts could cause this. I'd guess when they checked the toe-in they just applied the laser unit and took a reading, whereas if they'd investigated more fully they would have got the car on the ramps and had a good tug about to see if anything is loose. Jack it up yourself and have a good pull about to see if there's any movement anywhere. Scoobs are extremely tight and it is difficult to identify things like failing bearings or tie-rods, but something causing an effect as pronounced as you describe should be fairly obvious.