Notices

Orange Anti-Freeze

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2009, 08:30 AM
jonboy0373
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange Anti-Freeze

Hi i know this has probably been answered but im going to ask.

Halfords Advanced Anti-Freeze ( Orange) is it ok for my 1994 Type-ra ??

Thankyou in advance, John
Old 13 February 2009, 09:03 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Yes it will be fine, the advanced stuff is ideal for the Scooby. You need to check the colour of your coolant first though, if it's blue at the moment you'll need to drain and flush before adding the Halfords orange fluid.
If you don't the whole lot goes a manky brown colour that makes it look like there's something wrong with your engine.
I used Comma stuff when I changed mine (pinky colour) and it went brown when I didn't flush out all the old fluid. Had to drain it, flush it and fill it again to get it looking ok.
Old 13 February 2009, 05:15 PM
jonboy0373
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers mate. Have you tried the "Water Wetter" stuff its supposed to lower the temp of water alot.
Old 13 February 2009, 05:32 PM
290 AND READY
Scooby Regular

hahaha i did this and now all coolant looks terrible

Going to change it all next month!

Looks like i have oil in the coolant
Old 14 February 2009, 01:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Warning! CHECK THE LABEL! I think that is OAT coolant!!!!

What you need to check is if its OAT coolant or not (not the colour). Really, you should only use OAT coolant in cars that are filled from the factory with it (SUBARU don't use OAT coolants).

Its not advised to use it in an non-OAT engine: As it is suggested that OAT inhibitors attacks, amongst other things, silicon compounds. The most commonly used base compound for gasket sealants is silicone.

There are hybrid coolant available that use OAT additives but also contain silicate and phosphates so are more universal. Howevere the complete system must be throughly flushed out (block, heads, heater matrix, oil cooler modine which doesn't drain fully) before adding the new coolant.

Personally, I'd just stick to normal normal glycol coolant as the rubber used in the cooling system is not design for OAT coolant (plus its cheaper).

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 February 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: mixed up hybrid coolants with OAT
Old 14 February 2009, 01:46 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Where did you get that from Ali?
OAT coolants are ideal for Scooby engines, never heard of damage being caused by using it. If anything it is better as it doesn't break down like ethyl-glycol coolant.
Old 14 February 2009, 01:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Sorry, got slightly mixed up with hybrids (ths the edit)

My source is via Unipart.

PURE OAT should not be use in non-OAT engines. Hybrid OAT can be used but only after completely flushing through the system to avoid any compatibilty issues that may cause foaming (foaming = air lock).

I've checked Halford's website and it doesn't say if its universal hybrid or straight OAT coolant. Thus check the label. Typically pure OAT is orange or yellow or red but as said before colour is no real indication.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 February 2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 14 February 2009, 01:51 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Blumming confusing isn't it!
Old 14 February 2009, 01:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yes, very.
Old 14 February 2009, 01:55 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

There's a bit in Wikipedia (I know, not the most accurate of sources) but it mainly goes on about US engines which we all know are built by hillbillies with adjustable spanners and a rasp.
Not your precision engineered Jap masterpiece

Antifreeze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 14 February 2009, 02:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I've been looking too (save me digging out the article thats hidden in my huge pile of paperwork ). Best I can find is also American, but its an extract from NARSA (National Automotive Radiator Service Association - f**k knows who they are ) and include European and Japanese cars in its recommendations (note for UK; Japanese cars made for the UK market will use EU coolant - obviously):

Motor: Keeping It Cool

NARSA recommends the following:

Use Dex-Cool or an aftermarket OAT only in GM cars that were factory-filled with Dex-Cool. Although you can top up with any of the three OATs available, the best practice is to flush out the system first, to remove at least 90% of the old coolant.

Do not use an OAT antifreeze in any Ford product aside from the '99 Cougar. It may attack certain gasket materials (particularly in Ford modular V8s). It also can be responsible for water pump cavitation erosion-corrosion, reports Ford.

Do not use an OAT coolant in any Chrysler product. OAT has been shown to increase damage from water pump cavitation erosion-corrosion, particularly in some truck V8s. If you can't get the specific Chrysler orange hybrid, flush out the system and install a conventional American antifreeze.

In European cars equipped with a hybrid or conventional European antifreeze, use a conventional American silicated antifreeze.

In Japanese cars equipped with silicate-free coolant, rely on this bit of history: These coolants never were sold in any quantity in the U.S. Japanese cars seem to survive nicely on conventional American products, so the safe approach is to stick with them. Both Japanese silicate-free and conventional American coolants contain phosphates, so they share that key inhibitor.

On heavy-duty vehicles, stick with the OE recommendations.

For temporary use, as in a roadside emergency, mixing different coolants is better than using just plain water. But the system should be flushed out and refilled with the correct coolant as soon as possible.
Kind of makes sense

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 February 2009 at 02:22 PM.