FMIC Help. Want some opinion on them

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2009, 05:56 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FMIC Help. Want some opinion on them

Hi,

I have just bought a new bumper and i like the look of the FMIC's but wanted to know more about them.

I have a JDM 98 STI, and i think i might go for some more power soon.

so..

What are the effects of an FMIC over a TMIC? Will i have noticeably more turbo lag?

Will an fmic on its own reduce intake temperatures enough to noticeably increase power?

Are FMIC's actually required? what BHP would be required to actually NEED an FMIC?

Which one to buy? My car is used for fast road and track, and i dont really want to be spending hundreds on one. More like 250 or second hand 150. Is the difference between cheap/medium/expensive FMIC's noticable?

Also, anyones opinions or experiences with FMIC's would be good. As i say my new bumper is cut to take an fmic, if there is no decrease in drive-ability i might as well put one in.

Opinions please!

Last edited by scoobyc; 08 February 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08 February 2009, 06:05 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this thread and if you are interested get in touch with harvey as he really seems to know his stuff:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ts-so-big.html
Old 08 February 2009, 06:25 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

yeah read the first page of that. will give it a little mor eead now then.
Old 08 February 2009, 07:18 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

hmm good reading. guess ill go for one of these hybrids then. Will be of use when i start going for more power i guess.
Old 08 February 2009, 08:45 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

First engine mod I did, after a free flowing catted exhaust from TSL. The standard TMIC fried on a hot day I could feel the power ebbing away as the miles increased. That's on the road, not track.

Mine made 10 bhp-ish more than an average car with a std. TMIC, but a fair few degrees of timing were also added to help reduce lag. I knew a BIG turbo was only a matter of time, so made sense to me !

HTH

dunx
Old 09 February 2009, 12:48 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

So what should i go for and what should i avoid?

Ive decided to do this mod next. I dont currently have any engine mods, but i think they look nice and it will give me a good base for my furture planned mods. Also will mean i can get my bumper on with the cutout without it looking daft.

Alot is spoke about core size fitting kits etc. But noone actually mentions anything other than the hybrid. 300 is a bit much for me at the moment, however a second hand hybrid could be good value.

So what to go for/look for brands/spec fitting etc etc??
Old 09 February 2009, 12:53 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Don't go for an autobahn 88 fmic. They don't cost much less than the hybrids, but the cores are no way near as good.
Second hand ones do pop up, just keep an eye on hear and ebay.
Old 09 February 2009, 05:49 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

so no real alternative to the hybrid then? I guess ill just have the bite the bullit. Will keep an eye out for a couple of weeks if not ill just buy one.

I usually fit things myself, but have been informed these can be a REAL git to do. How much do people charge for fitting? And anywhere reputable do it near berk?

How much of a git of a job is it to do? Or just a case of cutting a couple of holes in the inner wing and messing around till its all nice? What about routing the pipework??
Old 09 February 2009, 06:00 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

The main problem when i did my last car, was removing the bumper. The bolts were all rusted. Once off, it's just a case of cutting a hole in the inner wing for the air filter side pipe, and maybe a little off the front corners where the pipes come out of the core, depends on the fmic you choose.
Remember, you'll need an induction kit if you still have the standard air box, also the dv needs changing/relocateing
Old 09 February 2009, 08:57 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not do the FMIC as a first mod for a number of reasons.
Best to start with a proven performance exhaust sytem including an open neck, decat downpipe. I would go for a 3" system as you are then project creep proofed.
Following that, ported headers and matched up-pipe.
The 98 air box is generally OK until somewhere around 330/350 bhp.
With care, at this point, you could probably lift boost with an electronic boost controller but this needs to be done with care as running weak or running with DET will cost you an engine. Entrust this to someone who will carefully check AFRs with a wideband lambda and DET cans.
The next mods start to become expensive as they all come around the same point and need a remap. Turbo, injectors and FMIC.
Get the first mods out the way, enjoy the greatly improvrd performance for not too much money and see where you go from there.
Old 09 February 2009, 09:48 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

yes thats all good. but if it isnt going to hurt the car too much and its going to look good im just gonna do it i think. Its going to be done anyway later on in the year when i do the other parts. Will slap the bumper on and see how it looks without..
Old 21 February 2009, 06:50 PM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Hiya,

I'll be at Rockingham next Sat (am session) with my newly fitted Hybrid, so you can take a look. Was fitted by Darren/Harvey in Darlington. Highly recommended!

Andy
Old 22 February 2009, 01:00 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be on the safe side, remember you are advised to get a remap if fitting an FMIC.
Thanks for that Andy. Have you had a remap yet? How does it feel?