Notices

Quick oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2009, 01:33 AM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick oil change question

Done the oil change myself last time and its about to come up again but I think I may have over filled it a bit last time. 4.5 Litres is whats needed correct?

Now, is that 4.5 litres including the Oil filter as that takes about 1/2 a litre on its own and then add the rest in the engine? Or just add the 4 litre can to the engine?

Sounds a bit silly but have read posts about overfilling and that it can cause problems etc so want to get it right this time

Thanks in advance
T.
Old 07 February 2009, 02:02 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Quite simple: put 4 litres in.

Start up engine, let it run for 10 seconds or so, turn off. Wait at least 30seconds, check dipstick - both sides (should read nothing or just below minimum...don't worry, you've put 4 litres in there, no damage will occur).

Then add oil to suit, Its about 1 pint of oil between max and min. So use that as part of your judgement of how much extra to put in. Note that it is acceptable to have the level between the max and min markers; there is no need to get it right on the maximum line, a tad below is fine.

Also note that the "true" oil level on the dipstick is where oil can be seen across the full width of the dipstick; Not the edges (where it has dragged oil from the surface of the dipstick tube, making it look like the level is higher than it really is).

Do not just dump in 4.5 litres straight in. Lots of people do it, but it is the wrong way of filling an engine with oil.

Because the specifications say the sump takes 4.5 litres it does not mean it can, as that measurement is for a bone dry sump. Where in reality you don't always get all the oil out (such as when the car is jacked up at the front, so a few hundred mls of oil is still sitting at the back of the sump after draining). Which is why they get overfilled.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 February 2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08 February 2009, 02:01 PM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Nice one!

Thanks Ali

T.
Old 08 February 2009, 03:56 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

The filter takes 1/2 liter, this is important to fill before fitting.
Take the crank sensor connector off, fill the engine with 3.5-4 liters, allowing it to drain to the sump.
Turn the engine over untill the oil light goes out, indicating you have a good oil supply to the pump/engine.
Re-connect crank sensor, then start, and follow Ali-b's post.
Old 08 February 2009, 06:06 PM
gUpALlEy
Scooby Regular

Also when checking the level leave the dipstick out for a while as the o ring can cause a vacum giving incorect levels as the pipe is still full of oil . Just a thought mate
Old 09 February 2009, 12:26 AM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Mit, had done exactly what you`ve said there. I did however put the remainder of all the oil in to the engine hence why Im thinking I over filled it. One little problem I have is that when my oil pressure sender was fitted the dash light was disconnected. Will have to get hold of another sender which allows the connection of the dash light.

gUpALlEy, Ill try that aswel.

Thanks guys!