ODB or ODB 2?

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2009, 09:35 PM
conkers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ODB or ODB 2?

Hi Total noob here,

I have a 1996 Impreza Sport 2.0 and can't seem to find the odb connector, all that I can see near the steering column is a rectangular yellow connector and 2 single connectors? Am I missing the ODB port or is it an ODB I?

If its an ODB I, I spotted an ODB 1 to ODB 2 adapter somewhere, can I use this or do I need to get it read by a garage?

Apologies if the answer is here somewhere, but I searched the threads and couldn't find anything specific.

The check engine light is on and it seems like the cat is leaking/blowing, plus car is running lumpy and occassionally misfiring. I am contemplating replacing the cat and the O2 sensor, but wanted to make sure I'm not chucking money away by reading the error code first.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Cheers

John
Old 28 January 2009, 10:00 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OBD1 if the wiring is same as turbos then underneath the dash are connectors to manually check for error codes

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Scoobypedia / Scoobypedia look under 'ECU' the connectors are normally taped up and a bugger to find BUT that's only if the wiring is the same
Old 28 January 2009, 10:07 PM
conkers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheers

Thanks mate, really useful link which I think will reveal the problem, reckon it might be the MAF sensor, but will try the cleaning the sensors trick first. Car seems to idle more smoothly with sensor disconnected, but drinks petrol. Its got a K and N type air filter as fitted by the previous owner and I reckon the oil from the filter has contaminated the sensor. Any idea what type of cleaner I should use? brake or carb cleaner were on my list to try. Thanks again, John
Old 29 January 2009, 07:48 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carb cleaner allegedley.
It should stall with the MAF disconnected (disconnect it when running) this is just another test and not fool proof.