Notices

Idling and misfiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2009, 07:47 PM
NuttyBird1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling and misfiring problems

I own a Classic Impreza 2.0 non turbo on a P reg, I have owned the car since Aug 2008 and no problems then.
Since around Nov time I have had some issues with the car and at a loss to what it could be and what is causing it all and at my wits end so hoping for some advice to try and rectify it all.

When starting from cold mainly 1st thing in the morning, the rev counter idles between 800 - 1000rpm, and the engine feels like its pulsating and when driving it surges splutters and has flat spots, and also there is a strong smell of petrol coming through the heater vents, but once engine warm it stops and runs like a dream.

The feeling is like one of the pistons is not firing properly but some times it feels like its kicking and and all is fine, and when I excelerate it feels like its holding back.

I have changed the plugs, oil and air filter, could soemthing else need doing? - I dont want to spend shed loads - but hoping its a simple problem that can be fixed quickly and as cheaply as possible.

Thanks
Old 18 January 2009, 08:26 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coolant temp sensor on turbo imprezas can cause poor cold starting possibly the same on non turbos
Old 24 January 2009, 11:33 PM
NuttyBird1
Scooby Newbie

Default Idling probs - More advice needed

Back again,
Just wanted to ask a some more questions - as not tech minded

When I bought the car from a car dealer, he used to disconnect the battery while on the forecourt and only reconnected when out on test drive etc - could this have caused some problems in relation to the idle probs as previously posted or not cause any probs at all.

MAF would it be best to buy one second hand or new? and what would be the likely cost - or should I remove it and possibly clean it - what would be the best way to clean it without damaging it in any way.

Coolant Temp Sensor - Again where is cheapest way to purchase one of these and what part no's etc would I have to look for one specificly for my model etc.

Coil Packs agin would second hand be ok or would be better to purchase new, again any recommendations as where to buy from.

I have a Classic Impreza Sport AWD (Non Turbo) on a 1996 (P Reg)

Thanks in Advance
Old 25 January 2009, 08:45 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new maf only - 75 quid or so and a few minutes to swap yourself. Common fault on these,

these cars also do run lumpily in the cold until they warm up.

battery disconnection wouldn't do anything significant
Old 25 January 2009, 08:29 PM
toigye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NuttyBird1
Back again,
Just wanted to ask a some more questions - as not tech minded

When I bought the car from a car dealer, he used to disconnect the battery while on the forecourt and only reconnected when out on test drive etc - could this have caused some problems in relation to the idle probs as previously posted or not cause any probs at all.

MAF would it be best to buy one second hand or new? and what would be the likely cost - or should I remove it and possibly clean it - what would be the best way to clean it without damaging it in any way.

Coolant Temp Sensor - Again where is cheapest way to purchase one of these and what part no's etc would I have to look for one specificly for my model etc.

Coil Packs agin would second hand be ok or would be better to purchase new, again any recommendations as where to buy from.

I have a Classic Impreza Sport AWD (Non Turbo) on a 1996 (P Reg)

Thanks in Advance
coolant temp senser only about £20.00
Old 26 January 2009, 06:47 PM
NuttyBird1
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy Idling issues

Hi again,
Thanks for the advice about the MAF and Coolant Temp sensor.
I phoned my local Subaru dealer today to get some prices and they want a small fortune for those items MAF £241 ouch!!!! and temp sensor they couldnt give a price.
Is there any other places that I should try to get a lower price - eg a motor factor or someone that is recommended through this site.

Hoping to get it to a local garage to get it on the diagnostic machine to get some codes up, as its still playing me up and now seems to cut out whilst driving.

Thanks again in advance
Old 27 January 2009, 07:10 PM
Mitch WRX
Scooby Regular

Hi
You probably wont get any joy off a diagnostic machine as the car is a classic,you will have to cross two wires under the dash and do a bleep test..............
I have a maf sensor here,what colour is yours????
Email me privatly

mitchcoxqualters@aol.com

MITCH