Notices

Fuel pump not working

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2008, 08:31 AM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump not working

Due to ongoing problem with car running on thre cylinders, I sent the Autronic ECU back to the manufacturer for a check. They replaced the injector driver module even though they found no faults.

Just got it back today. All connected and cranking, but no start. Only after a few attempts I noticed no fuel pump priming and checked under bonnet and no fuel pressure showing on gauge.

I have checked all the fuses, all look fine. Does anyone know which fuse it may be in case I am missing it. It is a Jap Spec 2001 bugeye STi, underbonnet fuses checked and ones under dashboard, however I notice there are some larger relays under dash next to the main fuse box which I cannot reach easily.

Any other ideas? Car sat for 10 weeks.
Old 23 December 2008, 09:03 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

check fuse 11 under the steering wheel (to the right a bit)

Its the one labelled ECU/Air bag I think. This is also the fuse that controls the fuel pump.
Old 23 December 2008, 09:12 AM
mikey30
Scooby Regular

just check for power at the fuel pump plug in the boot!!!!
could it be immobilised???
Old 23 December 2008, 09:12 AM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron

Thanks

just tried. Put a new one in. No difference just silence and does not start.

Is the fuel pump controlled by the ECU? I thought once the ignition is switched on the pump primes and only when cranked would the ECU operate the injectors rather than anything to do with thepump.
Old 23 December 2008, 09:32 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It sounds like a power supply problem to the pump, which has two fuses iirc and could also be controlled by the immobilizer..?

Check all the fuses first (one in fuse box under steering column and i think another [relay?] in engine bay fuse box..?).

Does the car have an alarm immobilizer, if so does it appear to be working properly..?
Old 23 December 2008, 09:38 AM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Yeah have checked them all and appear okay.

The alarm is a Clifford and it seems to be working fine. If you try and start with immobilizer on, you get no ignition, when you switch it off, ignition is available and fuel pump primes and it cranks. Just not today.

may try and switch alarm/immobilizer off totally and see if any difference.
Old 23 December 2008, 09:56 AM
scooby1508
Scooby Regular

can you here the the fuel pump relay click when you turn on the ignition

Last edited by scooby1508; 23 December 2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 23 December 2008, 01:24 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Yes I can here a faint click when I disarm the immobilser and i get ignition. This is when the pump would prime. Obviously if you do not disarm you get no ignition or cranking. Do you knwo which relay/fuse it is. AS I said allfuses are okay, however how can i check if a relay is stuffed?

Mikey 30 - just check for power at the fuel pump plug in the boot!!!! How do I check this? Is this under one of the metal covers in the boot? I notice one on each side of the boot.

Looks like I am stuck again with a non working car. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as everyone that I could take it to is closed until 5 Jan.
Old 23 December 2008, 01:59 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul,

Does the ECU still have a map in place on it? I can email your last one to you if you've not got a copy. I'm just wondering if the map got lost in the repair (they usually stay in non volatile ram for ages though).

Paul
Old 23 December 2008, 02:02 PM
mikey30
Scooby Regular

put the alarm into valet mode to rule out the immobiliser just in case....
as you look in the boot the plate is on drivers side!!!!
take of lid and use a test lamp to probe wires for power.....make sure its not the fuel level gauge live that you probe.....
get a mate or someone to switch on igition while you probe the pump wires!!!

Old 23 December 2008, 02:20 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Paul

I did not even think of checking if the map was still available. If the map was wiped would the pump not work?

Can you send it to me in any case, as I want to look at it first thing tomorow morning. We have had two days of English summer weather - rain and a cold 17 degrees and it is bucketing down and has become dark outside so I cannot do anything for the evening.

Can you email both pavli@primehome.com and paul@pcpfunds in case i have trouble opening the attachment.

If it is not this, I will place immobiliser in valet mode as mikey30 suggested ( I just found the Clifford book that Alan gave me) and then if still no luck try and see if pump is getting power.
Old 23 December 2008, 03:01 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

I was just going to suggest the clifford wireless fuel guard as a possible problem, this may be a problem, which is relatively easily bypassed.
Old 23 December 2008, 03:17 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Would the battery being totally flat have an effect on anything? i.e. if below ceratain volts would the immobiliser or ECU not work properly.

Just dawdling waiting until tomorrow. I am having withdrawal symptons and I need a fix of bhp after walking most places or driving Honda Jazz.
Old 23 December 2008, 04:16 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

I would imagine if the ecu isnt getting sufficient voltage then it wont run its pre crank stage. However, if its got enough juice to crank the engine over, then it should have enough to fire the pump.
Old 23 December 2008, 04:26 PM
nampahc01
Scooby Regular

you say your car sat for 10weeks, how's about your pump might be stuck. all these weird and wonderful ideas and people are bypassing the easiest solution.

pump could be getting sufficient volts etc but just be stuck, turn your key on so it primes and give it a small tap and should free its self if stuck.

plus yes you will need a good battery but as someone said if it cranks the engine then the pump will prime.