Notices

Turbo-blades cut back & port/polish-drawbacks?

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2008, 01:54 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo-blades cut back & port/polish-drawbacks?

Along with fitting an uprated actuator on my VF36 twin scroll I am also considering getting the blades cut back & port & polish. The advantages seem to be high up in the rev range & top end & it is not a very expensive thing to do.

But what are the drawbacks of doing so, exscuse my ignorance on the subject but my main concerns are:

-Opening up a perefectly good solid turbo unnecesarily?

-IHI turbos are made to such exacting standards by Subaru etc that they are probably made to with millionths of mm precesion or something & are balanced to such exacting stds as well. How will cutting back blades or fitting different blades etc affect this in terms of turbo longevity & reliability?

-Is it possible that my turbo may be swopped for a like to like exchange with mods already done on one to save them time?

-I dont think that a modified IHI turbo could be as reliable & safe as a std one? Maybe just an uprated actuator is enough on a VF36 twin scroll, as Im aiming for between 370 to 380 bhp max

Any thoughts

Last edited by rickya; 02 December 2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02 December 2008, 09:06 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

bump?...
Old 02 December 2008, 09:29 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TurboDynamics will hybridise(is that a word?) your turbo for £500, should get you your desired figures on pump fuel, just.

The uprated actuator won't make a huge difference tbh, if you've got the 3-port BCS.

Last edited by bluenose172; 02 December 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02 December 2008, 10:24 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Along with fitting an uprated actuator on my VF36 twin scroll I am also considering getting the blades cut back & port & polish. The advantages seem to be high up in the rev range & top end & it is not a very expensive thing to do.

But what are the drawbacks of doing so, exscuse my ignorance on the subject but my main concerns are:

-Opening up a perefectly good solid turbo unnecesarily?

-IHI turbos are made to such exacting standards by Subaru etc that they are probably made to with millionths of mm precesion or something & are balanced to such exacting stds as well. How will cutting back blades or fitting different blades etc affect this in terms of turbo longevity & reliability?

-Is it possible that my turbo may be swopped for a like to like exchange with mods already done on one to save them time?

-I dont think that a modified IHI turbo could be as reliable & safe as a std one? Maybe just an uprated actuator is enough on a VF36 twin scroll, as Im aiming for between 370 to 380 bhp max

Any thoughts

Ask Shaun who used to own Scoobynet he has his project Spec C. He hybrided his twin scroll IIRC. If your lucky you may be able to buy his if he still has it.

Have a read of hos project it has graphs etc. so should be able to answer a lot of what you are asking.

Question is will 380bhp be enough?
Old 02 December 2008, 11:05 PM
typeRv4
Scooby Regular

Presumably we are talking about cutting back the turbine ?

The gains are reduced exhaust backpressure so top end performance should be abit better. The tradeoff is you will increase lag.

If done properly all balanced up it should be fine. As in anything the harder you use something the more wear.

I would have tht a stock vf36 would get pretty close to 370hp anyways with supporting mods.
Old 02 December 2008, 11:13 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys

I had Shauns project in mind, Iv been trying to follow his Stage 1 & now 2!

Im going off the idea of the hybrid turbo as £ per performance gains & the trade off in increased wear etc,- I would rather spend that money elsewhere e.g put towards KW Variant 3's.

Bluenose why do you think I may not need the uprated actuator if Im getting a 3port boost solenoid?
Old 03 December 2008, 12:18 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

I just feel for the boost you'll be running(~22PSi) and the interrupt mode of the 3-Port a stiffer actuator isn't necessary for the VF36.

You could get to 370 and near 400lb/ft if you wanted to add 3ml of NF to every litre of fuel....