Notices

Nut sizes - Metric?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2008, 03:03 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nut sizes - Metric?

I'm going to have to remove my rear spoiler, as I'm convinced it's letting water in via the bolt holes. (A lot of water)

Before I begin, as I only have a metric socket set, are they metric? And I was just going to silicone round the bolt holes to stop the ingress of water...will this work ok?

Cheers
Old 27 November 2008, 04:47 PM
nampahc01
Scooby Regular

everything on an impreza is metric.

boot seals are bad for leaks and also my old classic leaked in through the aerial rubber on back quarter.
Old 27 November 2008, 05:34 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Thought it might be. But I was going to remove my K&N CAIK, and went to unscrew the Allen Key nut.....and it wasn't metric I know this isnt a Subaru part though, but just thought I'd double check.

The actual boot seal does seem quite dry to be honest, and I tried lifting it up, and its stuck down with some form of mastic. Did you just buy a whole new seal from Subaru? As that will be the next thing I change if sealing the spoiler doesn't help.

Cheers
Old 27 November 2008, 08:42 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Why don't you seal around the spoiler with some silicon sealant before taking it off? If the leak stops you've found the cause, and if not then your problem is elsewhere.
Kevin
Old 27 November 2008, 09:15 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

As I thought it would look crap with silicone around the rim of the spoiler? As it might start coming off over time. Where as just doing around the bolt holes, you can never see it.
I know where your coming from though, it would be a lot less effort doing the rim.
Old 28 November 2008, 12:55 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisdicko
As I thought it would look crap with silicone around the rim of the spoiler? As it might start coming off over time. Where as just doing around the bolt holes, you can never see it.
I know where your coming from though, it would be a lot less effort doing the rim.

I agree, But sealing it as a temp measure to ensure the leak is there is probably the best idea as the bolts in the spoiler can be an a*se. If it stops leaking then yes its gonna have to be removed and sealed properly and if it doesnt just remove the silicone
Old 28 November 2008, 01:22 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisdicko
I'm going to have to remove my rear spoiler, as I'm convinced it's letting water in via the bolt holes. (A lot of water)

Before I begin, as I only have a metric socket set, are they metric? And I was just going to silicone round the bolt holes to stop the ingress of water...will this work ok?

Cheers
As luck would have it I am holding a nut of a spoiler. Its M6 and you'll need a 10 mm socket to remove them. You might have to not fully push the socket on the extension bar though because the studs on the spoilers are quite long.

HTH jonny
Old 28 November 2008, 02:21 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

I'd go the silicon around the bolts route first. Mine had a small leak after fitting a version 6 spoiler and i siliconed up around the bolt holes and job done, problem solved. Make sure you put plenty on.
Old 28 November 2008, 04:05 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Job done!

I did remove the spoiler, and it was an easy job to be honest! Except at 1st I didnt realise there were two bolts under the rubber stops!

The 'foam seal' was totally knackered to be honest, so I'm hoping this was the problem with my leak....so hopefully this has solved it!! Should really go and dry out the boot now, but its just about dark