Sports Cat Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2008, 11:15 AM
Kevj66
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports Cat Downpipe

Hi all

Anyone bought a sports cat downpipe from 2 fast 2 cool on ebay? - look good value at £229.00 plus carriage?

it states they include 100 cell cat - just curious if anyone had invested in one and what thoughts you may have?

i am after one for my 2006 2.5WRX - must be able to connect to my TSL centre section which is 2.5" dia - what else are 2.5 owners using?

ideally want to stick with a sports cat as i don't want to run the risk of failing a roadside check and it would be nice to avoid any issues at MOT time

cheers

Kev
Old 12 November 2008, 06:23 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Have you checked with Cobra (Exhaust UK) I think they gave me a cheaper quote. I was told that you are better off with a 200 cell cat for the 2.5 litre as it is easier to get through the MOT, You don't have to get it burning hot to get it passed.I don't know if the Cobra cat is a 200 cell though?? I am still looking for one for my 2006 STI so let me know how you get on!
Old 12 November 2008, 10:11 PM
Kevj66
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply

I have already had a quote for a Cobra one and they have confirmed the Cat would be a 200 cell one.

I have heard that the 200 cell ones don't flow as well as a 100 cell and that they are a cheaper alternative? - not sure if this is correct - hopefully someone on here can confirm one way or the other

The other issue seems to be that most Sports cat downpipes are 3" pipework exit whereas the standard WRX exhaust and the TSL de resonate centre and Group N backbox which i am currently running use 2.5" pipework so i am not sure how you overcome the different pipe sizes?

I have also heard good things about the Miltek sports cat and the TSL Thundercat and Haywood and Scott - these are all based on 100 cell Sports cats but are considerably more expensive? - i guess it is probably the old adage that you get what you pay for

one day i will get to the bottom of this and invest in one before i go for a remap and give my WRX a well deserved boost in power

at the moment i am tempted to save and go for the TSL one which means i will also need a second cat bypass pipe - unfortunatly that will cost in the region of around £500 for the two - perhaps it is worth going decat and taking a risk
Old 12 November 2008, 10:35 PM
Scooby_Stu_
Scooby Regular

I was going to get a sports cat downpipe for my 2006 2.5 wrx, but they can still fail at mot time, so i went for a Haywood and Scott decat downpipe (£200 inc p+p) and it has a 2.5" exit. I'll just find a friendly mot centre when the time comes.

Stuart
Old 12 November 2008, 11:17 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

I've been looking for one for my 02, and saw those on Ebay as well, so would be interested to know. Might be worth dropping JGM an email to see if he has mapped one.

I will probably go for the scoobyworld one at £300, don't think they do it for the 2006 though.
Old 14 November 2008, 06:09 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevj66
Thanks for the reply

I have already had a quote for a Cobra one and they have confirmed the Cat would be a 200 cell one.

I have heard that the 200 cell ones don't flow as well as a 100 cell and that they are a cheaper alternative? - not sure if this is correct - hopefully someone on here can confirm one way or the other

The other issue seems to be that most Sports cat downpipes are 3" pipework exit whereas the standard WRX exhaust and the TSL de resonate centre and Group N backbox which i am currently running use 2.5" pipework so i am not sure how you overcome the different pipe sizes?

I have also heard good things about the Miltek sports cat and the TSL Thundercat and Haywood and Scott - these are all based on 100 cell Sports cats but are considerably more expensive? - i guess it is probably the old adage that you get what you pay for

one day i will get to the bottom of this and invest in one before i go for a remap and give my WRX a well deserved boost in power

at the moment i am tempted to save and go for the TSL one which means i will also need a second cat bypass pipe - unfortunatly that will cost in the region of around £500 for the two - perhaps it is worth going decat and taking a risk

I can see where you are coming from but at least you have more of a chance passing an MOT with a 200 cell! If the WRX is the same as the STI then you have two cats one in the down pipe and one before the resonated section, so taking the both cats out and replacing with a 200 cell spots cat IS going to make a big difference, I believe that Cobra do a single pipe that does this for about £250 I think
As for the 3" to 2.5" I am sure that most exhaust companies do a reducing flange that simply bolts the two together (£25.00)

Last edited by greatgonzo; 14 November 2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 14 November 2008, 06:14 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

I will probably get a 2fast2cool 100cell downpipe for mine at some point. I've heard there isn't much of a performance drop from a decat downpipe (which I have). The reason I'd buy one though is not for emissions reasons but because it may be a loophole for insurance companies to not pay out for the car if no catalytic convertor is on the car! (i.e. car's after 1993 aren't road legal with no cats fitted)
Old 14 November 2008, 08:39 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

got mine from scoobyworld the ninja sports cat downpipe, £299 but worth the money
car in for MOT soon so hope it'll still pass

wiley
Old 14 November 2008, 08:44 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by escott

I will probably go for the scoobyworld one at £300, don't think they do it for the 2006 though.
Our ones do fit the 2006-2007 models, but you have to fit our Afterburner Cat pipe also.

Neil
Welcome to Scooby world
Scoobyworld Ltd