Notices

What's the best to fit? Apexi AVCR or Apexi Power FC ECU with the Commander

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2008, 02:04 AM
cottemonster
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best to fit? Apexi AVCR or Apexi Power FC ECU with the Commander

Hiya All

It's good to know there's always someone (everyone) on here who's willing to help, and usually solve your problems

I'm thinking of getting an Apexi Power FC ECU with the Commander hand control for my scoob, so I wonder if you fellas can help, especially the Jolly Green Monster as he seems to be the ECU remap Guru lol ;-)

I'm a bit of a newbie to the Scoob I've bought, but here's what info I know on it:

1996 Import Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0 Turbo Station Wagon
Engine Type: EJ20
Model: GF8B5BP
Transmission: Automatic
Is still in km/h and restricted

Upgrades on it (for now):

Hayward & Scott turbo back full stainless exhaust system
K&N Type cone filter
Unsure of turbo........check tomorrow

From what I've read up, the Model is found out by the first 2 letters, so in my case it's G=Impreza, F=Station Wagon, 8=2.0 Litre Motor.

I'm not sure of the BHP figure as standard, maybe someone can throw there 10p's worth in ?? lol

The ECU that is fitted states the following on top:

V5
22611 AB530
A18-000 Rj4 3X22
4 Pin connecter to ECU

I do have an Apexi AVCR (bran new in box unused) and was thinking of fitting that so I could up the boost carefully for a bit more oomf, untill I read a couple of the threads on here.

So the questions are, what would be the best thing to do? Should I fit the AVCR or go for the power FC and commander? Would the power FC need a remap If I decided to go that way? Does anyone know the correct part number for the Commander I would need (they're expensive so I don't want to louse up there)

Thanks for any help you can throw my way

Cheeers,

Mark.
Old 16 October 2008, 02:13 AM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Someone will come along and tell you the part number soon but what i can tell you is to fit both.

Get the power fc and get the car running like a dream by one of the mappers on here and as you already have the avcr fit that as well to look after your boost as it controls it better the the power fc can.

Some say it can hadle better the any other boost control on the market but im sure some one else will come along and tell you other wise

Here is a pic of one of my car's that has a power fc and avcr fitted

Name:  CIMG1452.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  149.5 KB

Ash
Old 16 October 2008, 02:46 AM
cottemonster
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info Ash.....top man !!

I actually wondered if anyone had actually fitted both, and hey presto, 10 mins after posing, he's here lmao !!

Couple of questions if you're still up :-)

Was your first step to fit the ECU and commander?

How did you go about fitting the ECU?? Was it just a simple swap one for the other jobbie, and then get it re-mapped to run spot on? Any soldering together of wires from the loom to the ECU?

Can you tell me the year of yours and if it is an STi too, as I'm sure mine is just a WRX?

Did you then fit the AVCR?

Sorry for so many questions, need to get this right !!

Cheers mukka :-)

Mark.
Old 16 October 2008, 02:51 AM
cottemonster
Scooby Newbie

Just a quick one Ash> As mine is limited, what's the best way to de-limit?

Cheers, Mark.
Old 16 October 2008, 03:01 AM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Working nights

Well mine was all done by jolly green monster (Simon) Drove to him with my subaru ecu in and he did the rest when i got there.

Fitted the PFC first but was having trouble with boost so fitted the AVCR.

Found out some time later that my induction kit was the real prob but all the same having both was great and looks the nuts

The one in my car is not the same as yours im pretty sure mine is a 4 plug and yours is 3???

You need this one...

Apexi POWER-FC & Commander Impreza WRX STI 92-96 on eBay, also Injection Fuel Systems, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 12-Nov-08 12:34:59 GMT)

Dose not matter if its sti, wrx it will work.

Oh and this will de-limit the car all so.
Old 16 October 2008, 03:23 AM
cottemonster
Scooby Newbie

Workin nights eh.......bummer, can't be that bad though if you can get to the PC...he he

Mine is the 4 plug one, there's a couple of different ones on ebay, so I don't want to end up getting the wrong one :-(

I've heard that Simon is the Dogs danglies for fitting and re-mapping, wonder if he can reply with some good solid advice.

Im up in Merseyside and heard that he can travel, if he's up this way to do a bit of graft ??

Looks like I'll be fitting the AVCR at the weekend then :-)

I've just added some pics of my Scoob to my profile, so if that helps to know what type of Apexi unit i need then all the better :-0

Like were you installed your AVCR....looks sweet !!

Mark.
Old 16 October 2008, 01:15 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Good luck with it mate
Old 17 November 2008, 11:40 PM
cottemonster
Scooby Newbie

Hey Ash,

Long time no email............work, work, work :-(

Anyways, just thought I'd give you an update and ask a bit more advice if you don't mind, as you've obviously been there seen it and done it :-)

I got the Power FC (new in box) and a AVCR (new in box) just like Christmas day innit :-)

So, before I go about fitting everything, then contacting jolly green monster (Simon) to sort it all out, I was wondering:

1. Should I fit a FMIC?
2. I've bought a TD05 Turbo off ebay (not arrived or paid for yet though) Item number 200266068795 and was wondering would it be wise to put that on too (probably after having it all reconditioned/inspected).
3. Dump valve. IVE BEEN TOLD TO LEAVE ALONE!! THE STANDARD ONE FITTED IS GOOD ENOUGH? Did you have an aftermarket one fitted?

Just thought I'd ask, as you have done this before, so was wondering if I'm going to do something, I might as well do it all at once.

I'm in no mad rush to get it all done, on the road etc. It's just a weekend toy to let off steam if you know what I mean.

Much appreciated,

Mark.

PS. Your Scoob, with the reg and all, is the proper dogs danglies mate.......what a touch.....props !! :-)
Old 17 November 2008, 11:56 PM
typeRv4
Scooby Regular

You would need to have the ECU remaped again for the TD05 so to save some coin. Put that on before a remap.

FMIC same really - you'd need a remap after it was put on.

You don't need a fmic but you will make more power with one.
Old 18 November 2008, 12:16 AM
cottemonster
Scooby Newbie

Hiya matey :-)

Thanks for the input.

Exactly what I was thinking, do it all at once and take your time.

Any idea how better the TD05 is over the TD04 I currently have. There is a 16g and 18g, don't know which is the true better of the two? Everyone on here raves about them.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 18 November 2008, 12:42 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pointless putting in the Apexi before getting it mapped. JGM or other mapper can do it (10 min job) on day of mapping session. If you fit it before, then all you can do is harm your engine, as it'll invariably have an unsuitable map on it for your motor.

BTW your car is a WRX... and the penultimate digit is an 8 (for WRX), not a B.