Notices

Any 1 no how to change spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2008, 03:54 PM
adamhodges
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 1 no how to change spark plugs

Hi ive got a 1995 2.0 turbo subaru,just wondering how hard it is to change the spark plugs and what tools are required,ive found the coils at each end of the engine but theres not much room to do anything,any ideas or help would be great.also the car has hesertation and an almost miss fire when driving normally,would this be the plugs?,cheers adam
Old 12 October 2008, 04:27 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to get to the plugs

RHS
remove battery - dead easy to do
remove washer bottle

LHS
remove air box - you can check the boost pipes while its off.

When you take coil packs off remove the rubber nipples off them and check to see if the tips are cracked. if they are that could be the cause of the misfire.
Old 12 October 2008, 04:42 PM
SnazzyJoe
Scooby Regular

Yea, took me a while to figure it out too, lol, as it is, I myself would still like to know how to change the plugs, as I probably need to, picked up the car used, all i've had time to do on it was change the oil and air filter, change the coil packs(they were mostly bad) and change the power steering pump(old one started leaking)

now I just need to change the MAF, get a new knock sensor, and probably change the spark plugs, so any info on how to do that would be great XD

I assume it's probably as simple as pulling the coil packs back off and I'm guessing that the spark plugs are beneath them?
Old 12 October 2008, 07:50 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't change the knock sensor till you've fitted a new maf. The knock sensor will throw up a fault if it senses a high level of knock,if your maf's gone,this could cause this.The knock sensor could just be doing it's job!
Fit the maf,do an ecu reset,then see how it goes.
If your changing the plugs,then removing the battery for an hour or so will reset the ecu.
I found a wobble drive between the spark plug socket and the extension makes all the difference,as once all the stuff above is removed,it's still a bit of a pain.