Notices

help plz check engine faintly flickers??

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2008, 05:40 PM
gti00eater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help plz check engine faintly flickers??

been doing this for a few weeks never fully comes on just at certin revs it faintly flickers any idea what could cause this ?? thanks
Old 02 October 2008, 06:47 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

poor earth or connection perhaps
Old 02 October 2008, 09:11 PM
gti00eater
Scooby Regular

i have had the dials out a while ago you think there could be a lose wire or something if not where else could it be a poor earth
Old 02 October 2008, 09:36 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

may be a long shot but mine used to do the same. I later found out it was running an APEXI ECU instead of the standard one and as a feature it flickers when data such as the knock levels are higher than it is set to.
Old 03 October 2008, 12:36 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by T1000
may be a long shot but mine used to do the same. I later found out it was running an APEXI ECU instead of the standard one and as a feature it flickers when data such as the knock levels are higher than it is set to.
That's exactly what I was gonna say. Check under the passengers footwell - you'll soon know if it's got an Apexi Power FC ECU ('Apexi' is embossed on the ECU's cover).

The "very rapid flickering" is not good - it means the Apexi has been programmed so that the CEL flashes rapidly to indicate knock (detonation) is occuring. If you do have the Apexi fitted, then drive in such a way that you minimize this flashing i.e. as slowly as is necessary... And get a remap from JGM, etc. before it's too late!

Last edited by joz8968; 03 October 2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03 October 2008, 01:37 PM
gti00eater
Scooby Regular

it does have an apex power fc and was mapped by andy forest around the time it started doesnt make sence cos he supos to be the best and ive done nothing to the car since?? it would flicker at like 2k then stop and maby come on again 4k go out again like that so even if i drive slow it flickers at some point it only flickers for mill/sec's oh thanks for reply
Old 03 October 2008, 01:50 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

Do you know what fuel it was mapped on? For example, if it was mapped on Vpower and you have put 97ron superunleaded or 95 ron normal unleaded it will more than likely detect knock. Try putting Vpower or Tesco 99 in the car and see if the problem goes away. - It did with mine!
Old 03 October 2008, 01:54 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yeah, if it flickers in rapid 0.2s intervals, then it's indicating det.

It can also flicker (if it's been set up to) to also show injector duty cycle/air flow voltage, but the CEL comes on for much longer intervals than for that which indicates knock.

Do you have the Hand Commander connected to the PFC? If so, set up 'Monitor' so that it displays "Knock". When the CEL flashes rapidly this should coincide with the knock value showing 60 or more. But even if it is showing 60, it doesn't necessarly mean that the engine is detting.

Last edited by joz8968; 03 October 2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03 October 2008, 01:56 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Do you know what fuel it was mapped on? For example, if it was mapped on Vpower and you have put 97ron superunleaded or 95 ron normal unleaded it will more than likely detect knock. Try putting Vpower or Tesco 99 in the car and see if the problem goes away. - It did with mine!
Extremely good and pertinent point... This is the most likely explanation!
Old 04 October 2008, 04:15 PM
gti00eater
Scooby Regular

yea mate was maped on sainsbrys super 97 ron i cant get tesco 99 or vpower still useing the same fuel every time il try a octane booster to see if that cures it but i got it maped so i didnt have to run it on that stuf cos i can hardly affored to run it as it is! driven easy its only returning 50 km to the 10er thanks for reply
Old 04 October 2008, 04:17 PM
gti00eater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Yeah, if it flickers in rapid 0.2s intervals, then it's indicating det.

It can also flicker (if it's been set up to) to also show injector duty cycle/air flow voltage, but the CEL comes on for much longer intervals than for that which indicates knock.

Do you have the Hand Commander connected to the PFC? If so, set up 'Monitor' so that it displays "Knock". When the CEL flashes rapidly this should coincide with the knock value showing 60 or more. But even if it is showing 60, it doesn't necessarly mean that the engine is detting.
def doesnt stay on for any more than .2s and no i dont have the comander the apex came with the car didnt even no it had one til i went to get it maped lol thanks anyway
Old 04 October 2008, 05:11 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Are you saying that when the light does flicker, it's for a very miniscule period and doesn't continue doing it i.e. one extremely short flicker from time to time? Also, does this flicker really only happen when pulling near to max revs in either 4th or 5th gear?

If so, then nothing to worry about. You're Apexi has been also set to show injector duty cycle and/or air flow voltage. I'm convinced it's your injector/s momentarily 100% maxing out (or whatever the mapper will have set the light to indicate e.g. could be 90%, 95% or whatever). If this is happening very infrequently at high revs in 4th or 5th, you're okay.

I have the PFC too and had it mapped by JGM. I don't get any det whatsoever, but occasionally get this single faint flicker as just described. I mentioned this to JGM and he said that it's nothing to worry about (as per explaination in previous paragraph).. BUT... if it comes on at much lower loads/revs/gears, then take it back to the mapper to get a 2nd opinion, and if necessary, a tweak to your original map.

BTW if it annoys you, you can turn it off in the "Etc." menu on the Commander - once again take it to the mapper for him to turn it off (unless you know someone with the correct 415-H001 Commander that you could temporariIy hook up to turn it off yourself).

P.S. That's a gorgeous car you've got there!... Digging the V-Limited Sonic Blue with the 17" replicas of the WRC99 gold OZ SuperT alloys . 22B replica bumper is awesome too!

Last edited by joz8968; 04 October 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06 October 2008, 06:14 PM
gti00eater
Scooby Regular

Are you saying that when the light does flicker, it's for a very miniscule period and doesn't continue doing it i.e. one extremely short flicker from time to time? Also, does this flicker really only happen when pulling near to max revs in either 4th or 5th gear?

does exactly this but i not sure if its just 4th and 5th but it def flickers at a certain low rev around 2.5-3k then doesnt come on again to around 5ish il have to contact andy forest somehow does anyone have a contact for him? thanks oh yea thanks mate it looks better in the flesh tho lol by the way the car is for sale if anyone is intrested
Old 06 October 2008, 06:38 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gti00eater
Originally Posted by joz8968
does exactly this but i not sure if its just 4th and 5th but it def flickers at a certain low rev around 2.5-3k then doesnt come on again to around 5ish il have to contact andy forest somehow does anyone have a contact for him? thanks oh yea thanks mate it looks better in the flesh tho lol by the way the car is for sale if anyone is intrested
Hmm. Not happy about the fact that it can flicker at 2.5-3k.. but as long as it doesn't stay on for long periods, it's prob okay. But yes, take it back to AndyForrestPerformance. I'm sure it'll be a doddle for him to diagnose/rectify

Yeah, aesthetically, I think the Sonic Blue Type R and RA STi Version 5 V-Limited is a fine looking machine (love 'em in white too). Thing is I don't like oversteer so I'm sure I wouldn't get on with their 35/65% rear-biased DCCD centre diff (to that end, I'd be quite happy with a white regular 4-door STi Version 5).

Last edited by joz8968; 06 October 2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06 October 2008, 09:10 PM
gti00eater
Scooby Regular

hopefully so i give him a shout thanks a lot oh you say you wouldnt get on with the 35/65 split sure it can be adjusted i personaly drive it 35/65 gives me big smile when turbo kicks in and back end steps out lol