Notices

Fault 11 & 31 and ticking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2008, 04:30 PM
DarrinWrx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fault 11 & 31 and ticking noise?

My Impreza MY96 (UK) has got a very loud tapping/ticking noise from the engine.
So I ran a compression test (OK), then a Diagnostic test which came up with faults 11 & 31, which was the 'throttle sensor' and the 'crankshaft sensor'.
The tapping noise (very loud, increases with revs) seems to come from the head (nearside).
My question to you all Scooby experts, have you had this before?
Is there some sort of test to test these sensors before replacing them???
Has the timing belt jumped a few which is causing a valve to connect with the pistons??? Would this send the crank sensor off? And the throttle sensor?

The upgrades I know of are large intercooler (with pipes), forge bov, I was told it was doing 340bhp before problem.

But it does sound a very dry tapping, could it be a oil blockage to the hydraulic valves...although I did flush and put clean 5w - 30w oil in...but the problem stayed.

Please help me,
Old 29 September 2008, 06:00 PM
HOOPS78
Scooby Regular

i think the tapping noise maybe your boost solinod thats at left hand side looking at the car near the suspension strut mine does it at low revs just a idea
Old 01 October 2008, 01:57 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

If it increases with revs its unlikely to be the boost solenoid in my opinion. The solenoid will make a noise when on boost but not if you are just idling and tweaking the throttle with the bonnet up.

BTW mine seems louder nearside too. I've got 5W50 oil in it and think i might try thicker next time. I just assumed it was a noisy tappet and left it alone...
Old 01 October 2008, 03:47 PM
DarrinWrx
Scooby Newbie

The boost solenoid is fine...and so is the thickness of the oil, just don't use 0w - 40w.
I thought someone on here might have had the same problem or having the problem now????????
I am going to change the throttle and crank sensor to see if that will improve things a bit, will keep you posted...just have to wait for the bits to arrive now.

The tapping is very high pitched and very loud coming from the left hand (if sitting in the car) of the engine, around the head area...that is why I am thinking it is the valves.
Please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03 October 2008, 05:12 PM
DarrinWrx
Scooby Newbie

Got new sensors fitted now, but the faults are still there...looks like the wiring then.

Or am I looking at a timing issue with the tapping that are sending the sensors funny???
Old 03 October 2008, 05:24 PM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

You could have got the crankshaft sensor code from an oil change. The recommended way to build oil pressure after an oil change is to crank the engine without spark, and so many mechanics disconnect the crankshaft sensor hence the code

You should reset the ECU and see if the codes are persistent before replacing sensors.

I had a similar tapping noise on a legacy when the hydraulic tappets failed. Have you had any head work done recently? Someone might have not put them back properly.
Old 03 October 2008, 06:50 PM
DarrinWrx
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info, I was going to take a look at the heads anyway.
I'll keep you posted, might take awhile though...as it is off to work again, wish I had more time to spend on the car. Thankfully its not my only form of transport.