Notices

Pro's & Con's - Changing MAF ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2008, 04:36 PM
Dan 2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro's & Con's - Changing MAF ?

I've been looking into getting my 99 STi remapped and the *naff maf* is obviously my main concern..
SimTek was going to be my first choice over the Ecutek as this eliminates the need to use the MAF , sounds ideal but a tad more expensive and maybe ott for my needs ? .. but now i'm lead to believe I can somehow fit a MAF from a later version and go with the Ecutek..

Anyone got an information about this way of doing it , good , bad ?

cheers
Old 01 October 2008, 11:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have said a SimTek would be overkill.. but mapped a fairly standard UK car on a simtek the other month.. it is unusual to see a 99uk car with decat and panel filter and do anything other than Ecutek on it.. the customer in this instance wanted antilag..

It drove so damn nice.. I am not sure if it was a one off or what but the antilag gave boost, the launch control gave 0.5bar.. and it went like stink.

However if you buy a new maf.. disconnect the battery, fit the new maf.. reconnect the battery.. if it drives different then the old maf was faulty.. if no different then you have a spare maf...
Get the car mapped and then everytime you service the car swap the maf whilst battery is disconnected (this will erase the learn memory), if it drives different then bin the one you removed..

New maf element is £90ish

Simon
Old 02 October 2008, 05:43 PM
Dan 2
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply mate..

The SimTek idea was to save me changing the OE MAF yearly as i replace it as a service item kinda thing and to eliminate the chances of doing the engine any damage.. I did this with my last UK Turbo but when you balance up the cost of a few OE MAF's over the years along with the Ecutek then your into SimTek money , if not over.. if you see where i'm going..

Hence the question about being able to bin the standard air box, fitting some kinda Induction kit but this time using a MAF from a later version of car (ie; Newage) and being able to adapt it for my 99 STi.. Any knowledge of this ??

btw: my OE MAF is Ok and have a spare one aswell

cheers
Old 03 October 2008, 01:30 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

t5he newage maf is indeed more reliable but expensive unless you can get a secondhand known good one.

The maf can be rescaled to suit it yes.

Simon
Old 03 October 2008, 08:52 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

A Q45 is more robust and IIRC the complete housing can swap straight over with a slight modification to the loom. Next time you're due a remap this could be an option.

Oh and yes I have a spare one surpless to requirements!
Old 03 October 2008, 06:57 PM
Dan 2
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys..gives me something to look into.