Notices

Annoying Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2008, 03:50 PM
gazskooby2006
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Impreza

Ok i have had a clutch fitted to my my94 uk impreza turbo, on my way home the car kept cutting out. I tried to start car following morning but it wouldnt start so i opened the bonnet to find the big earth cable was just wedged on top of the inlet manifold so i relocated it back to its place and car wouldnt start, the fuel pump wasnt primingwhen i turned my ignition, so i have fitted new fuel pump.
started car up no problems revved it fine take foot off stalls did this several times thought ok take for drive went 1/2 mile down road stalls. I then got it to start and it ticks over fine but if i accelerate there is a ticking sound from under dash and the revs drop off so i had to drive home in 1st on tickover, I got home and the car ticks over fine but as soon as it is revved to 4000 rpm it stutters and tries to stall. I know its a long post but can anyone shed some light onto what maybe my problem.

thx gaz
Old 03 September 2008, 04:02 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Where did you have the clutch fitted? Why didn't you take it straight back there?
Old 03 September 2008, 04:06 PM
gazskooby2006
Scooby Regular

I had the clutch fitted at a localish garage, i have rang him and he says that he definately fitted the cable back on (which obviously he didnt) plus the car wont drive so i cant get it there and he is denying any blame.
Old 03 September 2008, 04:18 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Hello gaz,

It's possible that something has gone wrong while the clutch was fitted to your car.I don't know how much it will help, but I experienced similar problem a few years ago. it was like a rocket science to find where the fault was!Eventually, this was found to be faulty>

I don't know what it is, excuse my ignorance. Could be something to do with the boost mechanism? I dunno. Anyway, once it was sorted, the car started to run like a dream again
Old 03 September 2008, 04:22 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

That's a boost solenoid. (2 port)
Old 03 September 2008, 04:26 PM
bruce
Scooby Regular

Silly question but does the speedo work? I had a speedo cable problem on an old 94wrx and it hit fuel cut at 4000rpm.

Just a thought.
Old 03 September 2008, 04:37 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
That's a boost solenoid. (2 port)

So, It is related to boost mechanism, then. Well, it proves that I ain't as thick as I look

Hope you are doing fine, my mate Cookstar
Old 03 September 2008, 04:39 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
So, It is related to boost mechanism, then. Well, it proves that I ain't as thick as I look

Hope you are doing fine, my mate Cookstar

Or just lucky.
Old 03 September 2008, 04:55 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Or just lucky.
I have genuinely tried to help, smart@zz

All you (Brain of Impreza ) are doing is, reading and cackling over my surfacial knowledge- based upon my experience.

Gaz, don't mind him. he is just a show off

LOL, only teasing our Cookstar
Old 03 September 2008, 05:06 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I have genuinely tried to help, smart@zz

All you (Brain of Impreza ) are doing is, reading and cackling over my surfacial knowledge- based upon my experience.

Gaz, don't mind him. he is just a show off

LOL, only teasing our Cookstar
You lurve me really.
Old 03 September 2008, 05:16 PM
gazskooby2006
Scooby Regular

funny u mention the solenoid as it was clicking earlier today when it wouldnt start.. hmm i will try that one
Old 03 September 2008, 05:28 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

^See, what I mean? I wasn't talking porky pies, mate. There are places I know I need to be serious at

You lurve me really.
' Course, I do

More than I lurvve your flamer kit LOL the havoc it caused on Chester roads! I have vivid memories of it!
Old 03 September 2008, 05:34 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

^See, what I mean? I wasn't talking porky pies, mate. There are places I know I need to be serious at

' Course, I do

More than I lurvve your flamer kit LOL the havoc it caused on Chester roads! I have vivid memories of it!

The flamer kit is no more, the tailpipe flew off the other day while I was doing ***MPH,
Old 03 September 2008, 08:13 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

does the car stall if you stay off boost?? can you hear any sounds like rushing air?? check all your pipe work from intake to manifold, air leaks cause this kind of behaviour. I would doubt that a boost solenoid would cause the car to stall, it certainly didnt when mine wasnt working. Best thing to do is connect the 2 green connectors under the dash and read off the error codes and post them here.

Could also be a fuel feed issue, is the car modded at all, fpr, stuff like that.
Old 04 September 2008, 12:02 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

The flamer kit is no more, the tailpipe flew off the other day while I was doing ***MPH,

Careful.

One day, half the back of the car will fly off. Then you will be driving a very strange looking 2 seater scooby, Mark!

Let us know how it has gone for you, Gaz.
Old 04 September 2008, 12:18 AM
gazskooby2006
Scooby Regular

ok the car will tick over quite happily it just doesnt seem to like goin over 3k revs, i have connected wires and there are no fault codes stored but every now and then it wont start and i get a clicking from the relay that is in a black box behind the drivers headlight labelled ABS... confused now with the random car..
Old 04 September 2008, 12:25 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Have you checked that Salma Hayek thingy? Sorry, mate. I find these car parts names funny That Boost solonoid thing, I meant. BTW, I never played around with it. It was the Subaru experts that did it for me. You may be quite a hands-on person with car mechanisms, so do try it. That was the cause for my prob (similar as yours).

Last edited by Turbohot; 04 September 2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04 September 2008, 12:57 AM
RSLEG1
Scooby Regular

I reckon you need to concentrate on the electrics mate. When my alternator failed it clicked behind the dash and tried to stall/ was just a plain bugger to drive.
Not saying its your alternator btw, but there was a recent thread where a guy with symptoms similar to yours just needed to replace one of the main relays/fuses in the fuse box. If your earth cable wasn't connected properly you may have blown something.

Hope this helps more than confuses!!
Old 04 September 2008, 01:58 AM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Considering it started happening on you're way home from having the clutch fitted, i think it would be too coincidental that a component has failed. Far more likely that something has'nt been put back properly.
The earth not being bolted to the engine would only leave the starter motor and alternator without a good earth, so that would far more likely prevent the starter motor from working, and it was obviously working fine if you could start it.
If the chassis earth had been left off that would be another story though. Do you know if the clutch was changed via removing the engine or the gearbox?
If the engine has been out there's many possibilities for the problems you're having.
Old 04 September 2008, 02:53 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Theres a connector and earth on the top of the gearbox,which will cause thes problems if not connected correctly.Trouble is it's under the intercooler,so a little tricky to get to. It supplies some of the electrics on the inlet manifold,and quite important. Chances are if the garage forgot one earth....

Mit