Notices

lightened flyweel any good?

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2008, 08:33 AM
hybrid12
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lightened flyweel any good?

thinking of getting a lightened flywheel will you get a noticeable difference with one of these fitted?
Old 15 August 2008, 01:44 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This topic has been done to death many times before.

I am a big fan of lightweight forged flywheels. Would never go back to heavy cast OE ones.

Originally Posted by DaOne
am running a flywheel that Bob'5 on here sells.

took about aweek to get use to, but im loving it now.

around 4.5 ish kg

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
I just prefer the feel of the lightweight flywheel, and 5kg is 5kg, a carbon prop offers a silimiar weight saving for 4 times the price!
Originally Posted by Dspeed
Mines fantastic along with my light weight pullies.
My mate and I have identical spec cars apart from I have the lightweight bits and mine is much quicker off the line to make boost and get away.
Originally Posted by ukdave
Had a medium weight 6kg ish if i remember right from zen when i had a new clutch fitted-would never go bk to a std flywheel now,car accelerates noticeably quicker and none of the stalling an revs related problems mentioned earlier in this thread-ticks over like any other uk turbo-you`d never know any different-imo as much difference to drive as decatting one even without going really light.
Originally Posted by theotherphil
Same experience as Bob. I am also running a 4.2kg fw (Fidanza) with no problems. The difference in "pull" through the gears is like night and day - really noticable!
Originally Posted by roscop
I bought a lightened flywheel from BOB'5 and I have no problems at all.
It does take a little getting used to but it is a worthwhile mod.
I got a lightweight flywheel for under £200.
Originally Posted by andy-ukturbo
fitted 1 to mine even more than impressed than i was when i fitted 1 to my vectra gsi, got mine off bob 5 top quality
Originally Posted by Darc174
Same as Above more then happy with the product from Bob

cheers again

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 15 August 2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 16 August 2008, 10:02 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somehow I knew Bob would post on here.

Can we have the information promised, about three weeks ago, on the previous thread please. Assembly weights, ie clutch and flywheel and also the flywheel material(s).

The flywheel on its own will cost £200 to £400 or thereabouts plus the cost of fitting. Upwards of a further £150 or do it yourself. On its own, the cost of the mod is probably not cost effective but you may wish to consider it when having a clutch changed or the gearbox removed for some other reason.
The lighter flywheel reduces rotating mass and when you blip the throttle in neutral you may notice the engine is slightly freer to rev. Some people claim you will feel improved acceleration but as any improvement is relatively small, I think you will need a more sensative ar5eometer than I have to detect any improvement.
The O/E flywheel on the Classic is either 12.2 or 10.4 kg subject to model. Going less than 7-8kg can make clutch control more difficult, particularly on launches and on some cars with lighter flywheels, both trickling along in heavy traffic and tickover suffers.
When changing your clutch, you may need a replacement flywheel if yours is badly worn. An alternative to a new flywheel is an O/E item surface ground but balancing is important. This is a very cost effective way of avoiding clutch judder.
As a performance mod, expenditure on a new flywheel will be towards the bottom of your BHP/£ spent list.
Old 17 August 2008, 01:48 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one from API along with one of their Exedy clutches when the old (AP organic) clutch and standard gearbox failed. I'd never go back. The difference, I found, was noticeable straight away. It's hard to quantify but it just feels much nicer to drive. I wouldn't have done it all for the sake of it, but while my clutch was out anyway, it made sense to have it all fitted.