Notices

Pro's & Con's of Oil pressure/temp sandwich adaptor plate please ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2008, 05:30 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro's & Con's of Oil pressure/temp sandwich adaptor plate please ASAP

Most of you will have seen the group buy from RBAZ in the GB forum for gauges, but before i purchase mine i want to know the pros and cons of the oil filter adaptor plate as i have heard rumours that they are not great but am usure why. Can someone please enlighten me.

Many thanks
Old 07 July 2008, 08:12 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some say they are not as accurate as direct sensor, but IMO they'r fine & less hassle to fit & less chance of oil leakage. The Prosport sandwich plate is class, made from blue anodised aluminium, excellent bit of kit, my mechanic was well impressed with its quality.
Old 08 July 2008, 08:40 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I just had a chat to Powerstation and they prefer the method of the oil filter sandwich plate. It is easier to fit the sensors and you can keep the OE oil pressure sensor.
Also both sensors are located at the same place.
My 205 gti had a sandwich plate on the oil filter going to the oil cooler and never had any problems with it.
It would be interesting to see if anyone had any problems with this setup.
Old 08 July 2008, 10:22 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

The sandwich plate is easier to fit but if you why would you use it when the other kit uses the original place to take the oil pressure from. It is where Subaru wanted it to be inside the engine not on an external pipe/filter.
The temp sender has to take a better reading inside the block than on the oil filter. I know it might only be marginal differences but for me I want them as accurate as possible
My classic doesn't have an under tray on it (maybe should I don’t know) but I also think the filter is very low as it is any lower and it would be very vulnerable.
Old 08 July 2008, 10:37 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

how easy is it to use the existing fittings on a classic to wire up the prosport gauges?
Old 08 July 2008, 10:38 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
how easy is it to use the existing fittings on a classic to wire up the prosport gauges?
Not done it yet but I would have thought its harder wiring the electrics up and getting wires to the gauges than it is to get the senders in.
Will let you know
Old 09 July 2008, 12:16 AM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

I have wired a couple of sets of guages to classics (just orderd a set for my newage). Its not hard to wire them in the "correct" places you just need the right adaptors and a bit of ptfe tape. does not take long to take of the alternator and the top mounted intercooler under which they are located. Personaly I dont see the point of keeping the standard oil pressure switch and will be disacrding it (I will have a far more accurate pressure guage ).

generaly it seems that no. 3 cylinder is the one most likely to have problems (some people say due to its location near the hot turbo it runs slightly hotter) and this is where the tempreture sensor sits/reads so in my mind better to get a temp reading from there.

*disclamer, I am not a engine builder/scooby tuner/mechanic and my opinon is based on reading loads of stuff on here/talking to people*

Trending Topics

Old 09 July 2008, 07:16 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Do you need to take the inlet off? That's what Powerstation told me.
Old 09 July 2008, 04:36 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Originally Posted by fpan
Do you need to take the inlet off? That's what Powerstation told me.
No you don't, that is complete rubbish. Maybe they said you have to take the intercooler off? as its a bit easier if you do this.

Regarding the sandwich plate, i don't see any issue at all in taking pressure from down there, but the temp gauge really wants to be in the main gallery as close to the crank feed as possible if you want to get an accurate reading of what the shells are seeing.