Notices

Help, Whats Fooked???????

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2008, 08:23 AM
buffalo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Whats Fooked???????

ok, quick outline, may be relevant may not. was giving it full wellie when the car seemed to judder/hit limiter so i knocked it up a gear and slowed down.
now whenever i start the car from cold there is a thick white cloud from the exhuast for a second or too then it goes clear. if i drive for ten minutes or so and then leave it on idle it is still clear. the smoke it a thick pure white. no blueing or black. also if i was to start the car (which would inccur the smoke) then drive to say my local petrol station park and then start again there would be no smoke!? i am presuming it is due to the duration of time it is sitting dormant. ie over a period of time something is seepin? also feel i have lost power but this may be in my head as i have been frighted to drive with any gusto since.

this is my first scoob and first turbo so sorry so if its blindingly obvious i've blew the turbo seals or something,

cheers in advance
Old 26 May 2008, 08:30 AM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

Sounds like first signs of head gasket failure to me . The white smoke is steam! I would book her in at your local garage and get it block tested . This should confirm it either way.
Old 26 May 2008, 10:43 AM
buffalo
Scooby Regular

block failure? how do you fix that? i am pressuming a new block isnt cheap
Old 26 May 2008, 01:00 PM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

Sorry . Thats what we call it in the trade. Checking for head gasket failure you Use a tool that holds purple liquid over the expansion tank you run the car till warm and it sucks in air from the header tank and if exhaust gases are present in the coolant system it will change colour from purple to green and if really bad failure it goes yellow. But we call it block test . Well i do anyway!
Old 26 May 2008, 01:23 PM
buffalo
Scooby Regular

waters in the oil and the coolant tanks almost empty. this the head gasket gone? could i have done anything more severe or is it just a new gasket and the head skimmed? would i need two new gaskets or is it two heads i need skimmed? its on 03 wrx is this a EJ20 engine?
Old 26 May 2008, 01:35 PM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

Sounds like gasket failure yes. Now i won't start or drive the car. Water in the oil is never good . The engine will now have to come out and both heads removed . If you won't it done properly! Would always advise a skim 99 times out of a hundred when removing any head it will distorts as you undo the head bolts.Where are you in the country?
Old 26 May 2008, 07:18 PM
buffalo
Scooby Regular

in scotland, east kilbride, just outside glasgow. what components would i need? two new gaskets and the heads skimmed? or is there more to it? i take it the cost is in the removal of the the engine and splitting it? not so much the actual problem, ie replacing the gasket as would be in say a clio
Old 26 May 2008, 07:36 PM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

yer for sure your best bet is to get in touch with either your local dealer or Andy f on here AndyForrestPerformance he's your way but over Edinburgh side i think give him a call
Old 26 May 2008, 07:40 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy wont fix a blown head gasket. Contact Duncan at hypertech in bonnybridge and he will sort it for you.
Old 26 May 2008, 08:56 PM
buffalo
Scooby Regular

yeah andy f done my map, he doesnt do any sort of fitament or repairs unfortunately. thanks guys but would'nt like the idea of driving out my street let alone to bonnybridge lol. i am assuming this is goin to start to run in to tripple zero's now :-( seeing as i had subaru wanting 8hrs labour for an up-pipe!!!

Last edited by buffalo; 26 May 2008 at 08:59 PM.