Notices

help bugeye engine check light on! PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2008, 07:47 PM
Auto_Sparky_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help bugeye engine check light on! PLEASE

hey i hav a 52plate bugeye and saterday morning the engine light came on, it has no engine mods other than decat(mid) forge bov and induction kit it came on when i came to a standstill when shes ticking over the engine every now and the rocks to the left and the exhaust noise changes much like a missfire but the car runs fine it only seems to be on tickover.....HELP please!

any1 had this problem???
or any clu's???
Old 06 May 2008, 10:30 PM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

try to read the cell codes.
I bought an obd cable from the uk to connect the ecu to the laptop.
this way you know the codes and forum readers can help you better with your problem.
was about £30 I think
Old 07 May 2008, 12:16 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

hhmm I'm no engine expert but when something similar-sounding happened to me (when my MY02 was on its original engine), it turned out to be one of the coilpacks playing up. Quite cheap replacement job to fit a new one. The engine movement and rocking in the engine bay was fairly savage when this happened to me though - thought the engine was going to pop loose !
Old 07 May 2008, 06:41 PM
Auto_Sparky_WRX
Scooby Regular

well funny u should say that my m8 has a bug n he said the same so i plodded over 2 ebay and got a set off a 06 scooby ej20 engine for £10!!! so when they turn up il change them, plus its booked in to subaru on friday for a diag problem is the mot is friday aswell :S
Old 11 May 2008, 10:21 PM
Auto_Sparky_WRX
Scooby Regular

got it pluged in turns out my 02 sensor is faulty £370 :O
Old 11 May 2008, 10:48 PM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

wich cell code it showed?
Old 11 May 2008, 11:00 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Do not pay £370 for one. The same sensor went on mine (heater element went u/s.).

I got a secondhand one for around £80 but places such as API Engines can also get you them for about £100. Takes 20 mins with a spanner to fit.

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2008, 10:45 PM
Auto_Sparky_WRX
Scooby Regular

sorry mate dunno what the code was, iv orderd a sensor for £15 universal, just hope it works
Old 12 May 2008, 11:53 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front Lambda sensor for the bugeye is a pseudo-wideband jobby and the universal items may not work

The CEL code is usually a faulty heater circuit.

Bugeyeandy beat me to it.... search for a second hand one or buy from API etc.

Shaun
Old 13 May 2008, 12:54 PM
SBKDisco
Scooby Newbie

Default Engine Light

I have a 52 plate WRX and the engine light came on and stayed on, two times in the last two weeks, first time I had the OBU read at my local garage they charged me £30 for telling me it was misfiring on 1-3 & 4. I replaced the plugs and coil packs. It was great for a week, however on Sunday the light came on again. I took the car to my Subaru dealer who's reader said the same thing misfire on 1-3 & 4. He then spent over half an hour giving me loads of information and asking questions about the problem, they charged £18. I know which is better value.

The Subaru dealer said it was unlikely to be the Oxygen, Lambda or other sensors. as the error codes for them would have come up. Therefore if it is a sensor it is very likely to have an error code, so before you spend over £300 on coil packs & plugs like I have, or on sensors get the OBU read. After all that is what it's there for.

I was advised to clean out the valve under the black cover behind my airbox and squirt some brake cleaner / ether into the rubber pipes that connect to it. This is because I overfilled the oil a little and apparantly Subaru have sent a bulletin to their dealers confirming that when the oil expands it can get into the turbo pipes and cause a misfire because the turbo see's it as me trying to overboost. He also suggested making sure the manifold bolts were tightened as an air leak could cause a similar problem. He suggested a few other things it could be, such as wiring to the injectors etc. Basically it is as likely to be something different on another car as it is to be the same thing, so it is worth the small charge to have it read correctly.

Right now I have four perfectly good coil packs which cost me £300 that I needn't have bought. It might still cost me another £300 to solve the problem, who knows. What I do know is that I haven't solved my problem and I have £300 less in my bank than I did when the light first came on.
Old 13 May 2008, 01:05 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spurious misfire CEL's on the Bugeye are quite common. I used to have loads but not for a while LOL

Sometimes it's a faulty neutral position switch, sometimes it's just the ECU playing up.

Bugeye's also throw Camshaft position sensor error CEL's at high revs

Is the car running ok??

Shaun