Notices

Engine knocking on one side and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2008, 03:28 PM
maclauk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine knocking on one side and loss of power

Coming home last night my engine suddenly felt like it was misfiring, with it losing power at certain revs and when it has a reasonable amount of throttle. When I got home I popped the bonnet and heard a distinct knocking sound coming from the driver's (turbo) side of the engine.

I suspect the worst. The car is a standard 1999 T reg UK spec Turbo with 96k miles and a FSH.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong, especially as the knocking appears to be from one side and not the centre of the engine?

In case I do have to drop a new engine I'd like recommendations for places to supply the engine and people to drop it in. I live in Surrey a bit south of Guildford.

Cheers in advance for any help or advice.
Old 03 May 2008, 04:58 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maclauk
Coming home last night my engine suddenly felt like it was misfiring, with it losing power at certain revs and when it has a reasonable amount of throttle. When I got home I popped the bonnet and heard a distinct knocking sound coming from the driver's (turbo) side of the engine.

I suspect the worst. The car is a standard 1999 T reg UK spec Turbo with 96k miles and a FSH.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong, especially as the knocking appears to be from one side and not the centre of the engine?

In case I do have to drop a new engine I'd like recommendations for places to supply the engine and people to drop it in. I live in Surrey a bit south of Guildford.

Cheers in advance for any help or advice.
poss piston damage? if it is then more than likely as a result of a knackered maf as it is a 99 model year
Old 04 May 2008, 06:02 PM
davesti330
Scooby Regular

I had knocking from the turbo side which resulted in a rebuild being needed.
Old 12 May 2008, 08:48 AM
maclauk
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Turns out the problem was the ignition module on the cylinder by the turbo. The module had worked loose giving the misfire and was rattling against the head.
Old 12 May 2008, 09:49 AM
New_scooby_04

Phew, you luck so and so!

Ns04
Old 12 May 2008, 10:08 AM
maclauk
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Unfortunately one of the front wheel hubs had gradually come loose leading to a rubbing sound (from the brakes as the hub moved) that I also asked to be checked out. In examining the bearing we also noticed damage to bearing surfaces on the hub and on the driveshaft.

Lots of oily bits to replace at a high cost. Cheeper than a revamped engine but still ouch.... Now need to find the cash to sort out a new hood and radiator for the girlfriends Boxster; gonna be an expensive month.

On the plus side brake pedal feel is markedly better and so is steering feel. Both must have gone off gradually as the hub worked loose.