ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Engine knocking on one side and loss of power (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/685509-engine-knocking-on-one-side-and-loss-of-power.html)

maclauk 03 May 2008 03:28 PM

Engine knocking on one side and loss of power

Coming home last night my engine suddenly felt like it was misfiring, with it losing power at certain revs and when it has a reasonable amount of throttle. When I got home I popped the bonnet and heard a distinct knocking sound coming from the driver's (turbo) side of the engine.

I suspect the worst. The car is a standard 1999 T reg UK spec Turbo with 96k miles and a FSH.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong, especially as the knocking appears to be from one side and not the centre of the engine?

In case I do have to drop a new engine I'd like recommendations for places to supply the engine and people to drop it in. I live in Surrey a bit south of Guildford.

Cheers in advance for any help or advice.

johnnyroper 03 May 2008 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by maclauk (Post 7850258)
Coming home last night my engine suddenly felt like it was misfiring, with it losing power at certain revs and when it has a reasonable amount of throttle. When I got home I popped the bonnet and heard a distinct knocking sound coming from the driver's (turbo) side of the engine.

I suspect the worst. The car is a standard 1999 T reg UK spec Turbo with 96k miles and a FSH.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong, especially as the knocking appears to be from one side and not the centre of the engine?

In case I do have to drop a new engine I'd like recommendations for places to supply the engine and people to drop it in. I live in Surrey a bit south of Guildford.

Cheers in advance for any help or advice.

poss piston damage? if it is then more than likely as a result of a knackered maf as it is a 99 model year

davesti330 04 May 2008 06:02 PM

I had knocking from the turbo side which resulted in a rebuild being needed. :(

maclauk 12 May 2008 08:48 AM

Turns out the problem was the ignition module on the cylinder by the turbo. The module had worked loose giving the misfire and was rattling against the head.

New_scooby_04 12 May 2008 09:49 AM

Phew, you luck so and so! :)

Ns04

maclauk 12 May 2008 10:08 AM

Unfortunately one of the front wheel hubs had gradually come loose leading to a rubbing sound (from the brakes as the hub moved) that I also asked to be checked out. In examining the bearing we also noticed damage to bearing surfaces on the hub and on the driveshaft. :(

Lots of oily bits to replace at a high cost. Cheeper than a revamped engine but still ouch.... Now need to find the cash to sort out a new hood and radiator for the girlfriends Boxster; gonna be an expensive month.

On the plus side brake pedal feel is markedly better and so is steering feel. :) Both must have gone off gradually as the hub worked loose.