Sports cat and backbox questions

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2008, 04:38 PM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports cat and backbox questions

Hi all,

Ok, so I have 15' of wrap, stainless ties and a top gasket, and a Scoobyworld sports cat ordered today. I have a reasonable collection of tools and access to a ramp, but are there any other unusual tools I might need apart from sockets, extensions, and ring spanners?

Next question is does anyone know where I can get a baffle for my Power Engineering T75 backbox? It's a nice exhaust, but too much low drone on a run so I'd like to quieten it down a bit without strangling it.

cheers
Slim
Old 17 April 2008, 05:21 PM
ryansclassicscoob
Scooby Regular

maybe a good set of grips or nut splitter incase one of the nuts on the turbo round off,( like mine did ) and remember to soak all the nuts that will be coming off the night before you start, other than that its a piece of ****.

good luck
Old 18 April 2008, 05:42 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Did mine last week - Ratchet Spanners are a must - especially 10mm
Old 20 April 2008, 12:39 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't even start without a can of Plusgas, a 14mm swivel head ratchet spanner (Halfords Professional range have them) and a 6-sided 14mm socket. A good long breaker bar will be handy as well.
Old 21 April 2008, 10:36 AM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

Default Result

Originally Posted by silent running
Don't even start without a can of Plusgas, a 14mm swivel head ratchet spanner (Halfords Professional range have them) and a 6-sided 14mm socket. A good long breaker bar will be handy as well.
Yep, had most of those and got the job done- took just over 6 hours in all, much longer than expected but there were a hell of a lot of bits to take off!

There's a little bit of improvement, but I'm going for a remap next to take full advantage. The next question is should I replace the centre section before getting a remap? Is the second cat restrcitive enough to make it worthwhile?

cheers
Slim
Old 21 April 2008, 01:37 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by silent running
6-sided 14mm socket
This is *the* key when doing this, IMO
Old 21 April 2008, 08:57 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have lost count of the amount of 14mm nuts I've happily been able to reuse due to spending a fiver on a good quality 6-sided 14mm socket. Those exhaust bolts in particular are an M10 fine thread and can't be had from a hardware store, hence you end up paying Subaru over a quid each for them.

Anyway, yes, get a straight through centre section, and when you do everything up again, remember it doesn't need to be put back anywhere near as tight as it no doubt was when you cracked it all off. There's nothing on the exhaust system anywhere that needs more than 40lb/ft.
Old 22 April 2008, 09:46 AM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

Yep, 4 of the 5 14mm nuts came off ok, but the last one (lowest) was an absolute pig. Luckily, the son of the guy who's ramp I was using came along and with both of us leaning on it, it started to undo. The rest of the job was easy. Some of the turbo heatshield bolts (little 10mm things) were a sod as well, one actually sheared off- although it was easy to drill out and remove once the heatshield was free.

Centre section will be a breeze in comparison...

cheers
Slim