Notices

Few questions about recently bought 06 STI

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2008, 10:56 AM
garycliff
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions about recently bought 06 STI

Recently bought an 06 STI and have a strange knocking from the rear of the car during/just after braking. It happens more if I brake then ease off and let the car roll to a stop. Sort of feels like you have been hit up the rear by another car, and maybe happens twice before the car stops. You would think there was a large heavy object rolling around the boot, which there isn't.

Had searched the forum and seen that earlier models had problems with the rear struts, but does this affect the 2.5 STI or was it fixed by then.

Also a couple of times on moving off after braking there has been a loud crack from the rear drivers side caliper, so I assume it is sticking. Is this a common problem with the Brembos?

The car was also serviced before I bought it at the end of February, but when I dipped the oil it was as black as soot. Is this normal? I owned a classic shaped Turbo many years ago and I never remember the oil being black.

Have it booked in with the dealer tomorrow morning, but don't want to get fobbed off, it these are warranty issues that should be fixed.

Thanks
Gary
Old 28 March 2008, 03:02 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the rear strut problem to me.

The oil being black is normal.
Old 28 March 2008, 03:39 PM
garycliff
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that. I will put that to the dealer tomorrow and make sure he doesn't try and fob me off.

I take it this would be a warranty fix? The car is just over two years old, and I only bought it from the dealer three weeks ago
Old 28 March 2008, 05:15 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

It should be a warranty fix but don't expect that to solve it, it seems to be common fault which must be inherent in the design.

I binned mine and had coilovers fitted by Powerstation and have never had the problem since
Old 31 March 2008, 09:19 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by garycliff
Thanks for that. I will put that to the dealer tomorrow and make sure he doesn't try and fob me off.

I take it this would be a warranty fix? The car is just over two years old, and I only bought it from the dealer three weeks ago
Mine did that within a year.

Warranty replace but expect them to go again at some point so get clarification if you replace them that the new units will be covered again for another 3 years.

I replaced mine with coilovers and like the others have never looked back.