Notices

Check engine light on after new MAF

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2008, 04:28 PM
colsand
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light on after new MAF

I was getting very uneven idle and nearly stalling which various people said would be the MAF sensor. I was not getting the check light on though. I bought a new MAF from Subaru and fitted it and the check enginge light came on right away and the error code is showing 23. When I put the old MAF back in the light is off but code 23 comes up if I check with the black plugs.

I have tried doing an ECU reset with the new MAF in but I am getting error 23 as soon as I turn the ignition on to try and reset and doing the accelerator pedal bit seems to do nothing. I tried the battery off for an hour or 2 but the light was still on.

Could it be that I am not getting a proper reset or is it possible the new sensor is faulty? Will a Subaru dealer do any other form of reset or do they just do the plugs and accelerator method as well?

Sorry if you have read this before, I had it in a previous post under ECU problem which seems to be where this all started from. I'll probably have to book it into the dealer tomorrow I think.
Old 23 March 2008, 04:38 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

reconnect the old maf and then do an ecu reset and then check to see what that brings up error code wise if anything.
Not read your other thread, but it could be a number of things and the maf is the first thing people usually say, however they are generally very reliable unless its a 99 car
Old 23 March 2008, 04:52 PM
colsand
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight. It is an MY00 car. It seems to idle perfectly with the new MAF in but the error is still there.

The original post was just saying that I had got a 99 ECU to use as an exchange unit as I was thinking of getting one from andy forrest performance and wanted to keep my original, I had put the 99 one in the car to make sure it was working and it started stalling, put my original AE802 ecu back in and the uneven idling and near stalling continued. Some of the replies thought the original ECU had maybe adapted to a slowly failing MAF and by unplugging it I had effectively reset it which then highlighted the fault.

I'll never learn, should have left well alone!
Old 25 March 2008, 11:57 AM
colsand
Scooby Regular

I tried resets with both maf's but no joy. Just back from the dealer today so they confirmed the light comes on right away on new sensor, no light on old one but it runs badly with it. They said the new sensor is showing 0.2volts out so are ordering another new one to try so I'll have to wait till Friday with fingers crossed.

They also said the fault code is maf sensor OR maf circuit. If the new sensor does not sort it they said it could be a case of checking all wiring on the circuit which is getting complicated and time consuming.

Has anyone ever had the maf code where it has been wiring at fault rather than a sensor? I dont know if it is something I can start checking myself with a multimeter to save some labour costs if it is heading down that road.
Old 28 March 2008, 08:58 AM
marshysport2.0
Scooby Newbie

Hi there, did you get it sorted?
As my 1998 (r) is doing the same.......
Code 23 and struggles to start and idle, run !
any help would be great..
cheers
Old 28 March 2008, 11:51 AM
colsand
Scooby Regular

Had the car back to the garage this morning and they fitted a second new MAF and did a reset. This one is fine and its all sorted with no faults showing so the first new sensor must have been faulty.

Your symptoms sound similar, mine ran not too badly but the idle was really bad and it would nearly stall when you put the clutch in, this was all with no check engine light on. Its all back to normal now so its maybe worth trying the sensor?

I was £94 including the VAT so I'm guessing you should be about the same for your 98. That was from a Subaru dealer as well and they were pretty good when I went back with the engine light light on. I'd fitted it myself but they spent half an hour on it comparing old and new etc, got the new sensor and another half hour today and there was no charge on top of the 94.