Notices

Ignitor and sparking circuit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2008, 03:30 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignitor and sparking circuit!!!

Right, i think i have an idea on the problem with the car.
Very basicly, the car keeps blowing up no3 coil, with no spark to it ( the plug)

Now, having looked at the components, the ignitor has 4 inputs and 5 outputs, i know of the 5 one is a ground, thats all good, but, the 4 inputs must be a 12v feed, a ground and 2 signals for the coils. So does that mean that 1+3 fire together and 2+4 fire together, or is it another combination????

It makes sense that 1+3 fire together because, if the ignitor is feeding 1+3 and no 1 has a continuity problem, then no3 could be getting over loaded with current and exploding. No3 is getting a more or less constant feed at 13v and no1 is getting a variable feed between 0.8v and 5v, so, if no1 cannot get the correct feed from the ignitor then assuming 1+3 are linked then the current and voltage must go to no3.

Either that or, no3 has a bad conection to the ignitor and is drawing too much current, but, if that was the case, then why does no1 have a low voltage??

I think, am pretty sure, almost positive that 1+3 are fed from the same feed, so, if no1 had a bad earth connection, then surely the current would go to no3 and cause it to majorly overheat and eventually explode.

Sorry if i rambled a bit, but i would really really appreciate any one bouncing ideas about, i am so close to getting the car going again, if anyone knows the system well, please correct me or let me know i am right.

Thanks Mike

Oh and the error codes i have are 44 31 and 24, am gonna look them up now.
Old 14 March 2008, 03:34 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

ok, 24 is the idle air solenoid, which i have changed
31 is the throttle position sensor, not sure about that, might be a stored code
and the other is the wastegate control solenoid, now is that the boost controller that sits on the drivers side wing?? If so i havent put it back in yet so might be chucking the cel light??

Make any sense to anyone??
Old 14 March 2008, 04:41 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

ok thinking on a bit, 1+3 dont have to fire together, just have a common power source, the earth providing the switching between the two. Looking at the ignitor, i am not sure if it has 5 inputs or 5 outputs now, 5 outputs makes sense, 4 feeds and a common earth, but, saying that, could it have 5 inputs and the 4 outputs are the switching earths for the coils???

i need a wiring diagram and a coffee, my head hurts.
Old 14 March 2008, 05:23 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

ok cant find a wiring diagram, but am i right in saying the ignitor which sits under the boost controller is a CDI unit???
Old 14 March 2008, 06:55 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

I have access to the wiring diags if you need a copy faxing to you, but unfortunately can not get access to a photo copier now until Mon morning.

If you need a copy then pls pm me with either a contact no or fax no & I will sort it for you when I return to work on Mon.

Looking at the diag, it has 4 outputs (one per coil) & 5 inputs

Sorry I can't write down any more info, but this place is now shutting down for the night & I only have about 60secs left before the computers are switched off

Phil
Old 14 March 2008, 07:43 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

right i went and did a continuity test on the loom and am now totally confused and annoyed. Apparently everything is contiuous with everything else, both the live feeds to both 1+3 are contiuous, as are both the grounds, not only that, but they are contiuous with each other too. The plugs on the ignitor pack are continuous with each other, bar one pin, which is contiuous with nothing, not even the chassis. i found the plug thats behind the battery for the whole loom, and found 2 pins for the whole ignitor circuit, and guess what, they were contiuous with everything, except the one pin on the 4 pin side of the ignitor.
Now i am ready to burn the car, am fed up with it, everytime i get close something else jumps up.
Please can someone shed some light on how this wiring is meant to be, i am about ready to take it to a garage and say 'sort it' but i dont want to be beaten by it.
the next step is i am going to take out the whole ignitor/injector loom and check each and every wire, but i think it goes back further than that, as the ignitor pack is on a different loom.
Old 16 March 2008, 09:59 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

Right i have given up on trying to find the problem, i am pretty sure some of the wiring has gone from many to one, so am gonna replace the whole loom and hope that sorts the problem, if it doesnt i will burn it! cos if that doesnt sort it then i dont know what will.
Old 18 March 2008, 06:35 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

well, am pretty close to burning it now, i changed the whole loom and it hasnt made the slightest difference. I dont know now, other than changing the main loom i am at a loss.

Does anyone have any ideas. Please, someone must have had the same problem, or know someone who has had it.

I am a step closer to towing it the 30 miles to the closest subaru garage, and i resent giving them my money, as with any dealer.

Does anyone know who is god with wiring on these who is near worthing??

Thanks