Notices

Newage WRX losing power on the motorway.

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2008, 09:19 PM
Jonny_E
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage WRX losing power on the motorway.

I own a 2006 WRX which I've had for about 6 months.

I was driving on the motorway the other day and was doing about 70mph when I lost all power for about a second. Then everything returned to normal apart from the fact that the engine management light came on. It went off the next day and the car has been fine since. This is the second time this has happened, both times been when I'm on the motorway.

Has anyone else had this problem? I know very little about engines but it would be nice if I had an idea what the problem was before I go to the garage.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11 March 2008, 09:21 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it modified ? were you on boost ?
Old 11 March 2008, 09:31 PM
Jonny_E
Scooby Newbie

Its completely standard apart from a forge dump valve.

I was boost, IIRC. I was in 5th doing about 70(ish)mph and accelerating.
Old 11 March 2008, 09:34 PM
Scooby Senior

Could be fuel cut from over boost, code P0244 IIRC wastegate. Get a fault code reader on it and see. Or take it to the dealers for them to diagnose. Not sure what their stance is on DV's?
Old 11 March 2008, 09:43 PM
Jonny_E
Scooby Newbie

Ok thanks for your help. I'll take it to the stealers and see what they say. I was thinking the same as you about the stance on the dump valve though but it's worth a try.

One question I have - would the fault code still show up if the engine management light wasn't on?
Old 11 March 2008, 09:47 PM
Scooby Senior

I think it may hold historic codes for a period of time, how long I don't know. I would get to the dealers ASAP to read it or find a mate with a scanguage or similar. I'm no good to you as I'm in Essex Trouble is if you don't record the fault you will have to replicate it which might prove difficult as it's usualy to do with the drop in outside temp.
Old 11 March 2008, 10:08 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 53WRX
I think it may hold historic codes for a period of time, how long I don't know. I would get to the dealers ASAP to read it or find a mate with a scanguage or similar. I'm no good to you as I'm in Essex Trouble is if you don't record the fault you will have to replicate it which might prove difficult as it's usualy to do with the drop in outside temp.
Not sure about the scoob but in the past for me on other cars going into limp mode, the fault code can only be read when the light's on - if it's going off again I think it means it's reset itself and hence the fault probably won't be logged. Definitely worth checking though on the off chance like you say.

You don't say if the forge DV is VTA or recirc. I know a lot of people say bad things about VTA, but I'm not sure if it could cause a problem of this magnitude on a lightly modified Scoob?
Old 12 March 2008, 09:41 AM
SC0508
Scooby Newbie

I used to get the same on my MY00 wrx - same place every time - driving past a river, accelerating in 5th on cold damp mornings. Cause: The cold damp air plus long time on boost (due to being in 5th) caused overboost. Main dealer read code and said it was overboost. A good thing in some ways, as it shows the engine is running on the edge of what the scooby ecu sees as acceptable.
Old 12 March 2008, 01:45 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

^^^

It's not a good thing if you're in the middle of a quick overtake and it happens..!

First thing I'd do is bin the dump valve, as £100 to 1p the dealer will blame that..! It could actually be that, BTW..!

They're detrimental to performance anyhow so get rid..!

With OEM recir DV refitted give the car a run and see if it's still there, if not, then happy days and all well..

If it's still present then GET IT TO THE DEALERS ASAP and don't mention you've changed the DV..!

With regards to fault code logging, I was told that you will see a code at the time of the CEL (provided you're logging obviously), but once off there won't be an error code. This has always puzzled me as what's an historic error code..?
Old 12 March 2008, 06:47 PM
stotty1
Scooby Regular

it defo stores the codes but like others say not sure how long for. my sell came on then went off and i took it in about 5 days later and they could read the code .
Old 22 March 2008, 07:56 PM
Jonny_E
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. I took it to a friend of a friend who had a look and he couldn't find an error code.

bugeye_scoob - it's a VTA DV. I'm no expert but can't see it been the DV to be honest...only 'cos the car did it once before I fitted the DV. I guess I'll have to wait till it the car does it again then get it looked at ASAP.
Old 22 March 2008, 10:24 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Is your oil level above what it should be? Could be the boost solenoid being affected if your oil level is too high.
Old 23 March 2008, 11:15 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny_E
Thanks for all the help guys. I took it to a friend of a friend who had a look and he couldn't find an error code.

bugeye_scoob - it's a VTA DV. I'm no expert but can't see it been the DV to be honest...only 'cos the car did it once before I fitted the DV. I guess I'll have to wait till it the car does it again then get it looked at ASAP.
I only mentioned it simply because people on SN and NASIOC do tend to suggest being very wary of fitting VTA DV's unless the car's running big power because of the potential to screw up the (think they say the) MAF readings. Ultimately though I'm sure a lot of people run them despite that!