Notices

Zero boost loads of turbo noise solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2008, 01:50 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zero boost loads of turbo noise solenoid?

Ok Guys yet another boost problem.

Have been away for 10 days and I've come home to a duff motor

97UK car hybrid turbo Apexi and 3 port boost solenoid.

Basically I'm getting no boost at all, but the turbo is spinning like a mad thing - noise is not nice, but I'm driving really gently to keep it down sol hopefully I can sort this before i do any damage.

Obviously I'm going to check all the control pipes, but as I'm getting NO positive boost as all I don't think it can be one of the smaller pipes.

Can the boost solenoid play up in anyway?

The noise I'm hearing is a whistling noise that changes pitch as the turbo speeds up - not just linerarly, sometimes it changes in a step up of frequency - almost like a squeak from a wind instrument so I guess I'm hearing a combination of the turbo spinning and the leaking air.

but where's it leaking from?

I had the intercooler pipe blow off a couple of times and the engine pretty mich dies but that's not happening now.

Anyone got any pointers, hopefully will have a look this afternoon.
Cheers
Old 05 March 2008, 01:51 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just double check all the hoses
Old 05 March 2008, 06:19 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

by the sound of it i would suspect it is not a split boost pipe,normally they run like **** and black smoke from over fuelling.

waste gate stuck open maybe? check the clip on the wastegate actuator to make sure it is still on.

if ok check the boost solenoid,one way to do this is connect a small vac pipe directly from outlet on compressor housing to the wastegate actuator you should get 0.6-0.7 bar boost then.
Old 06 March 2008, 01:59 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

thanks Johnny

Have checked pipes I can easily get at and nothing obvious. I've even checked IC by filling it with water no probs there.

i wondered about the pipe that goes from the IC down the right hand side of the engine and under the IC - it's not easy to see or check and it's old, but what I could see seemed OK.

Will have a look at waste gate I like the though of that. I'm getting 0 positive boost - pain in **** :-(

Cheers
Old 07 March 2008, 12:09 AM
gti00eater
Scooby Regular

this the exact problim i have at the min happened the other day no 0 bar of boost and a wineing spooling up noise thought the turbo was nackerd tho no sign of smoke or anything if i stay below 2k it doesnt make the noise but the min i touch the throttle it starts spooling up poped the bonet and noticed there was a nut missing off where the up pipe bolts the the turbo and there was a load of black suit around from where the gasses have been comeing out so i asumed it was this but replaced the nut and still doing this realy hopeing it not a new turbo cant afford it lol
Old 07 March 2008, 08:06 AM
Emoe
Scooby Regular

""this the exact problim i have at the min happened the other day no 0 bar of boost and a wineing spooling up noise thought the turbo was nackerd tho no sign of smoke or anything if i stay below 2k it doesnt make the noise but the min i touch the throttle it starts spooling up poped the bonet and noticed there was a nut missing off where the up pipe bolts the the turbo and there was a load of black suit around from where the gasses have been comeing out so i asumed it was this but replaced the nut and still doing this realy hopeing it not a new turbo cant afford it lol""

In english?
Old 07 March 2008, 08:56 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

I think now that it's not the turbo spooling that's making the noise but a stuck dump valve after doing further research on here.

Where is and what does the dump valve look like - I think I've found it, but Subaru don't call it a dump valve in their workshop manual.
Old 07 March 2008, 09:19 AM
Adam K
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ClintUK
I think now that it's not the turbo spooling that's making the noise but a stuck dump valve after doing further research on here.

Where is and what does the dump valve look like - I think I've found it, but Subaru don't call it a dump valve in their workshop manual.
I had a very similar problem, twice, first time it was the BOV, second the wastegate lever that became unfastened....

This is the BOV on a MY98 (right), and a GFB recirc one (left).

And where it's mounted. (left side of IC, facing forward)

Last edited by Adam K; 07 March 2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: clarifying pic
Old 07 March 2008, 09:22 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Thanks Adam

I have standard one and now I know where it is (It isn't where I thought it was).

Any idea if the standard valve can be 'unstuck' ie repaired or are they a completely sealed unit?

Cheers
Old 07 March 2008, 09:28 AM
Adam K
Scooby Regular

The plastic is cast, no way to get inside as far as I have seen, they are a diaphragm type anyway so if it si the BOV there's probably a hole in the rubber.
IMHO buy a new one.
Old 07 March 2008, 09:41 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that Adam
Now hunting for dealers / suppliers
Old 07 March 2008, 04:35 PM
gti00eater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Emoe
""this the exact problim i have at the min happened the other day no 0 bar of boost and a wineing spooling up noise thought the turbo was nackerd tho no sign of smoke or anything if i stay below 2k it doesnt make the noise but the min i touch the throttle it starts spooling up poped the bonet and noticed there was a nut missing off where the up pipe bolts the the turbo and there was a load of black suit around from where the gasses have been comeing out so i asumed it was this but replaced the nut and still doing this realy hopeing it not a new turbo cant afford it lol""

In english?

is it that hard to read !!!!!
Old 07 March 2008, 04:38 PM
gti00eater
Scooby Regular

if it was the dump valve would you not hear it comeing from there ??