Oil pressure gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2008, 04:25 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge problem

Hi all
Last week i purchased a swoosh oil pressure gauge complete with sender and got triton motorsport to fit it. All seemed well for the first 3 days then on the 4th day the gauge just stuck at 100 psi at cold and hot so back to triton and they voltage checked the wires and the sender wire was getting voltage to the gauge as with the earth and illumination wire. They reckoned it was the gauge as the voltage went up and down with revs so there is pressure.
So i phoned up import car parts in durham where i purchased the gauge and he told me to do a test disconnect the sender wire form the sender unit and switch ignition on if it stays at 0 then it's the sender thats faulty if it goes to 100psi then it's the gauge but i thought if the sender wire is disconnected then it's going to show 0 anyway??
So triton reckon it's the gauge and import car parts reckon it's the sender so i am going to fit a 1/8 inch blanking plug to the t piece that connects to the sender and send the gauge and sender to them and hopefully all will be well as they said they will replace.
Does anyone else have any other ideas what could be the problem???
Old 01 March 2008, 04:28 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

oh forgot to mention that i took the sender off and gave it a good spray with carb cleaner (maybe something was stuck) and put it back on going to test it tonight if there is any change..
Old 01 March 2008, 05:18 PM
steveorangewrx
Scooby Regular

mine works fine so i disconnected from the sender and the needle shoots round just past the 100, so this must mean the gauge is ok but it contradicts wot triton have told you! hope that helps cos it was a mare to disconnect
Old 01 March 2008, 07:18 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

IS your one the electronic swoosh item too like mine the one that has the button on the gauge which makes it turn different pcychadelic colours