Notices

battery advice please guys

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2008, 08:35 PM
cocker92
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery advice please guys

hi all, im after some advice regarding my car battery. i have a 04 plate sti and iv had it since april. since that time iv had to call subaru assistance 3 or 4 times, all relating to a flat battery. after about the second time i had the battery replaced. i always used to know something was up cos the car 'bleeped' at me when starting it up.
about a month ago it started again so i rung subaru up and they looked into it and they replaced the tracker (something about the tracker drains the battery more than the juice i was putting back into it) a bit of a common fault in the 'older' trackers.
iv noticed in the last few days the car really doesnt want to start sometimes. the engine turns over but really slowly initially.
i use it every day to and from work and it gets a good run once a week atleast

what are your thoughts on this?

cocker92
Old 27 January 2008, 08:39 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

doubts it the tracker as I have one on my P1 (6 years old)...maybe something else is draining it , if all else fail fit a heavy duty one from halfords for about £70
Old 27 January 2008, 08:41 PM
cocker92
Scooby Newbie

all i know is that the battery is a 'varta' battery. 60aH

Last edited by cocker92; 27 January 2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 27 January 2008, 08:43 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

yes that is standard .. if the battery was fitted from new you will prob need to replace it ! I've replace 2 (average 2-3year life span ), get a heavy duty one fitted = no probs
Old 28 January 2008, 06:08 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

4 years is about the life of a battery, just get a good quality replacement. Eorth checking the alternator is charging at 13.8V with no electrical load as well.....

Simon
Old 28 January 2008, 07:49 AM
cocker92
Scooby Newbie

that is standard .. if the battery was fitted from new you will prob need to replace it ! I've replace 2 (average 2-3year life span ), get a heavy duty one fitted = no probs
its not fitted from new it was replaced about 5 months ago by subaru

h checking the alternator is charging at 13.8V with no electrical load as well.....
how do i do this?
Old 28 January 2008, 09:21 AM
cocker92
Scooby Newbie

right, iv had the battery checked and it was at 80% ( drove about 1 mile to garage)
also the alternator was checked and it read 15v.
iv been to halfords as other posts have recommended their battery and the bloke in their said according to their book they dont do one for a subaru. but when i mentioned a HCB005 battery they said yes we have them.

is that the right battery and what do you think i should do

cocker92
Old 28 January 2008, 10:45 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Yes hbc005 is 100% the right battery. Im more concerned you have a charge rate from alternator of 15volts. Thats a little high and may well be the cause of the problem. The battery is likely to be overcharging(boiling the acid).

The charge rate should be between 13.5 volts and 14.5 volts. 15 volts you say you have wont instantly cause a problem but i would suggest over a period it will kill a battery
Old 28 January 2008, 10:47 AM
cocker92
Scooby Newbie

OH, ok m8 thanx for that advice. that the reading with engine running, headlights,radio, wipers all working.

what do you suggest i do?
Old 28 January 2008, 04:12 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

sounds like the voltage regulator is up the swan. Does the voltage rise even higher with everything switched off?
Old 28 January 2008, 04:16 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much use does the car get ?

If its a low mileage weekend car like mine the battery will complain.

I just bought a Black and Decker Emergency - Jump Starter - BDV012.

Bloody brilliant, and if I go out it comes too !
Old 28 January 2008, 04:20 PM
cocker92
Scooby Newbie

sounds like the voltage regulator is up the swan. Does the voltage rise even higher with everything switched off?
not sure about that i will have to pop back to the garage and ask them to try

How much use does the car get ?
daily use and a good run every week
Old 28 January 2008, 06:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the alternator checked out, if you have ever washed the engine it could be the problem rather than the battery
Note that the alternators are not cheap, if the battery is lasting a very short period of time before it drains then it wont be a cheap job (alternators for these cost about 600 quid)
The charged battery should be over 14v if its good, if you can charge the battery and it stays above 14v when fully charged then you dont have a battery problem, it could also be an earthing problem which would be cheaper than the alternator, though you would need to get the car on a diagnostic machine to pin point the problem rather than guess work.

Tony
Old 28 January 2008, 07:37 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Get the alternator checked out, if you have ever washed the engine it could be the problem rather than the battery
Note that the alternators are not cheap, if the battery is lasting a very short period of time before it drains then it wont be a cheap job (alternators for these cost about 600 quid)
The charged battery should be over 14v if its good, if you can charge the battery and it stays above 14v when fully charged then you dont have a battery problem, it could also be an earthing problem which would be cheaper than the alternator, though you would need to get the car on a diagnostic machine to pin point the problem rather than guess work.

Tony
WoW no way ever/ a fully charged battery in good condition with NO surface charge should read 12.6 volts

Last edited by Turbotits; 29 January 2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 28 January 2008, 08:05 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My friends Seat did this, I diagnosed faulty alternator !
Dealers laptop said NO !
New battery, did it again !
I said alternator !
Laptop said NO !
Service Manager said YES !
Alternator changed.... End of Problem !

HTH

DunxC

Re-con alternator must be out there somewhere....
Old 28 January 2008, 10:25 PM
stevo_nwuk
Scooby Regular

I have heard that the alternators on the Blobeye Imprezas do not charge properly unless there is a current drain such as sidelights on. So if you drive with lights off the alternator does not charge the battery sufficiently. Mine is pretty tough on the battery, chirp on start up. Am about to buy a heavy duty battery and see if it is any better. Other suggestion was the Tracker setting draining the battery.
Old 29 January 2008, 03:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Turbotits
WoW no way ever/ a fully charged battery in good condition with NO surface charge should read 12.8 volts
A fully charged battery in good condition should read about 14v, if you see 12.8v then its on its way out.
Try it with a new one

Tony
Old 29 January 2008, 07:24 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
A fully charged battery in good condition should read about 14v, if you see 12.8v then its on its way out.
Try it with a new one

Tony
Sorry Poppycock, Thats what i do all day every day. You show me a 12v car battery that reads 14volts(otherwise they'd surely be called 14volt batteries????) with NO surface charge and i may as well give up my job. I suggest you get your metre callibrated and then try again.

12.6 volts is the correct reading for a 12volt battery to read

14 volts on a vechicle that is running YES. but on a static battery with no surface charge, no way ever in twenty five years of working with them

Last edited by Turbotits; 29 January 2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 29 January 2008, 07:40 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

I didnt write this. But it is technically correct

So a fully charged car battery of nominal 12v is actually approx 12.67v when fully charged (depending on temperature) and each cell should have a specific gravity (relative density) of 1.25. A cell is fully discharged at about SG 1.15 and the open circuit voltage reading on a digital meter would be about 11.7v when the battery is effectivly discharged. These voltages vary with temperature so, coupled with the small range between charge and discharge, this means that open circuit voltage is not a very accurate guide to a battery's state of charge and ability to provide cold cranking amps
Old 29 January 2008, 07:56 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
I didnt write this. But it is technically correct

So a fully charged car battery of nominal 12v is actually approx 12.67v when fully charged (depending on temperature) and each cell should have a specific gravity (relative density) of 1.25. A cell is fully discharged at about SG 1.15 and the open circuit voltage reading on a digital meter would be about 11.7v when the battery is effectivly discharged. These voltages vary with temperature so, coupled with the small range between charge and discharge, this means that open circuit voltage is not a very accurate guide to a battery's state of charge and ability to provide cold cranking amps
Totally agree! I can only imagine Tony is perhaps stating a reading taken directly after being charged, or with the engine running.
15 volts and above while running will certainly boil it dry periodically, have you checked the cell levels? That would be a tell tale sign.
Otherwise, check for current drain with everything switched off, and see how many amps are being drawn.