d.i.y inner wing induction kit

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2008, 08:46 PM
young'n wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d.i.y inner wing induction kit

Hi guys

Since you cant get the aps inner wing induction for my 96 jdm impreza i thought about makeing my own. Im thinking of keeping the maf connected the apexi pipe, makeing a carbon extension to the wing and fitting the apexi cone in the wing with another connection and hey presto!
all this would be very easy for me to do but what im asking is it going to be safe? should there be a certain distence between maf and filter? can anyone see any technical problems with this set up?

its kida going to be like the tracktive solutions setup in this months banzi mag but on a 96 impreza engine.

any adice would be great guys , thanks.
Old 21 January 2008, 08:58 PM
Legacy_Turbo_EJ22G
Scooby Regular

Ran the filter and pod in the inner wing for some time without any ill effects when I flipped my cooler and made IC piping. Don`t see that there should be a problem, other than possibly water, but it is raining quite a bit in Norway, and I never experienced any issues.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:10 PM
young'n wrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for the interesting pics , what im getting at is to get the best out of induction kit do you need the cone close as poss to the turbo? or is dense air more inportant? the maf will still be in the engine bay but the cone filter will be in the wing.

thanks again

c.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:40 PM
Legacy_Turbo_EJ22G
Scooby Regular

Wouldn`t think it matters that much. As few bends as possible, and as cool air as possible. That`s essentially what you are trying to achieve.
Old 21 January 2008, 09:45 PM
young'n wrx
Scooby Regular

thanks but does it matter if the maf has a gap between the filter basicaly the maf will sit where it normaly sits in the engine bay and there will be a pipe like you have from the maf with the filter on the end in the wing.

c
Old 21 January 2008, 10:22 PM
young'n wrx
Scooby Regular

is there anybody else who can help me out? any veiws welcome .

c.
Old 21 January 2008, 11:24 PM
Legacy_Turbo_EJ22G
Scooby Regular

As I said, it shouldn`t matter, as the air have to go through the MAF anyway on it`s way to the turbo. But someone else probably have other views on this.
Old 22 January 2008, 12:03 AM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

What about the cone sucking up water?
Old 22 January 2008, 09:18 PM
young'n wrx
Scooby Regular

hmm the aps kits work ok with splashes etc so im not woreid about that. just need some veiws and opinions wether it should be ok to not have the cone fixed on to the maf box?

someone must have some good info on induction and what are the best ways to get the max out of youre kit? please?

c.
Old 22 January 2008, 09:23 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Why do you want to do this mod? Is your engine bay too hot? What spec are you running.

A heat sheild should suffice really. make one of those, far cheaper and less greif.
Old 23 January 2008, 05:34 PM
young'n wrx
Scooby Regular

i want to do it because the induction kit is sucking in warm air from the engine! heat sheilds are not great and i want to get the best out of the induction kit. ive got lots planned but while im doing this particuler mod i wanted some veiws and info??????????????????

main thing i want to know is will the maf readings be ok if its not directly fitted to the cone filter?

c.
Old 23 January 2008, 06:11 PM
linky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by young'n wrx
i want to do it because the induction kit is sucking in warm air from the engine! heat sheilds are not great and i want to get the best out of the induction kit. ive got lots planned but while im doing this particuler mod i wanted some veiws and info??????????????????

main thing i want to know is will the maf readings be ok if its not directly fitted to the cone filter?

c.
It should make little or do difference with the distances you are talking. I use the APS 70mm caik and the filter is approx 20 " away from MAF sensor so if they can do it im sure you can.

As with the issues about sucking up water.........you would have to completely cover the filter so that the pipe was covered in order to suck the water up , so its not an issue unless you plan going off roading!

Im not sure but it may be an idea to check if your engine is running the correct fueling after altering this. May be ok but it would not be good to start running lean and melting expensive bits. I believe the ecu can allow for 25% extra fueling as standard but would get it checked to be on the safe side. Been alot of engines melted due to running lean after people mucking around with induction side.

Hope this is of use
Colin
Old 23 January 2008, 06:59 PM
young'n wrx
Scooby Regular

thanks colin thats very useful as a wasnt sure about the maf location on facelift impreza's. as for overfueling ill be getting the car mapped after this and a few more mods so it should be ok. i just think its pointless fitting an induction kit only to be sucking in warm air! is the point of having an induction kit to bring in more air quicker? or dense are quicker? or both ?wouldnt mind some veiws on why they would be better than standerd airbox if they worked correctley?

c.