Notices

Type R - power loss and engine warning light

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2008, 10:59 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R - power loss and engine warning light

Over Xmas I have had a developing fault with my 1999 Type R. Speedo would fail and then car would suffer power loss and stalling. Awaiting to go in for repair, but the RAC guy who came out, disconnected the speedo. This has cured the full power loss and stalling but on long runs the car will suddenly lose power as if the brakes are being applied - so gradual not sudeden like before. I can bring back power by downshifting and then i am back to normal. Happened twice this morning on a motorway run of 50 miles. Revs cut back gradually - as I said its like I am slowly applying the brakes but I am not!! Engine note also changes dramatically at the same time.

Also i am getting intermittant engine warning light coming on, which disappears if I depress the clutch and drop the revs. New clutch fitted about 6 weeks ago. I have also noticed that on idle the revs are quite low - 500/600 and the car seems to want to stall but dosn't. Again intermittant - sometimes its fine at around 800 revs.

Speedo failure awaiting diagnosis but the speedo would die or rotate full around the dial and then full power loss and bunny hopping, plus complete cut out.

Any clues anyone?? Car is fully serviced and has done 80,000 miles
Old 14 January 2008, 11:16 PM
dohc_turbo
Scooby Regular

maybe dirty petrol? u hope
Old 15 January 2008, 12:51 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check what the error code stored is

I am not 100% sure what the ecu will do on the 99 with no speedo input.. on the earlier car it moves the rev limit to 4500rpm.. it is most likely related to it..
from your description it was originally possibly swinging to speed limit level and hence the bunny hopes etc as the ecu thought you were flying

Simon
Old 16 January 2008, 08:19 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

ok - speedo and power loss traced to faulty delimiter which has now been replaced. However the car on test has now developed a potentially more serious fault which is causing a lot of scratching of heads.

At 7000 rpm the car will suddenly suffer power loss so violent that it is causing the whole car to judder. It has taken the technicians back who have never seen anything like this before and they are anxious not to repeat the experience too many times due to the nature of the power loss. Thru the gears and up to 7000 revs - the car is fine. At 7000 bang - I think the guy said it was like 3 cylinders failing at once, the power loss was so dramatic.

They replaced the delimiter this morning which cured the speedo and intermittant power loss plus engine warning light, but this new problem is puzzling. No help from the ecu either.

I would add they are a well known local Jap car independant and have a great reputation so thye know what they are talking about. When I bought the car 2 years back the previous owner had a bleed valve fitted which TSL promptly removed on advice this was one sure way on making your engine go bang, and there is today a silver switch to the right of the steering column that obviuosily used to do something but no one can trace as to what.

Any help would be appreciated as the car is still with them until they iron out the problem but I don't fancy paying for lots of searching and investigations
Old 17 January 2008, 12:21 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

does the car have a boost gauge?

probably boost creap at the top of the rev range causing fuel cut etc..

Simon
Old 17 January 2008, 10:33 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

yes it does have a boost gauge - whats boost creep??
Old 18 January 2008, 12:28 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

when the boost creap to a higher amount.. usually at higher rpm as the wastegate cannot flow the gas away from the turbine.

if you get a passenger to monitor the boost gauge and see if it increases with RPM and what boost is at when it cuts.

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 18 January 2008, 11:20 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

checked today - apparantly the cra is holding boost all the way to 7250 rpm then full cut out. garage are resetting the ecu today and see whether that cures the problem. If not, off to API.
Old 19 January 2008, 12:15 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nickejmartin
checked today - apparantly the cra is holding boost all the way to 7250 rpm then full cut out. garage are resetting the ecu today and see whether that cures the problem. If not, off to API.

What modifications does the car have?