Notices

Regular Unleaded or V power??

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2008, 07:59 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Regular Unleaded or V power??

Hi guys, fairly simple question here(this is my first impreza). Its a UK turbo terzo and was on the rolling road at power engineering years ago...fairly sure they mapped it. I have the printout and it was producing 250 bhp. Have heard that power engineering would map it for regular unleaded fuel...if so, could using V power damage the engine in any way? Also it has had a full stainless decat exhaust system since then so would the ecu need to be remapped for that too?

Cheers, Alan
Old 10 January 2008, 08:08 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using 99 Ron V Power will not be bad for your car if its mapped for 95 Ron. You just won't gain the full benefit of using V Power. As far as the remap, to get the maximum benefit from de cat and exhaust, yes. Bob
Old 10 January 2008, 08:20 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Hi Alan, not sure they would map it for regular unleaded more like super unleaded. I know some people will say normal unleaded is alright for UK spec cars, however, I have owned my MY99 for 7yrs now and the last 3 or so I have ran mine on super and it is a lot smoother and picks up much quicker, so its my opinion that's better!

It will not do any harm running V-Power, only to your wallet Just try it and see also give Tesco99 a go, if you can get it or any descent Super i.e. BP Esso etc

As for a remap, well at your level think of it as more of a tweak, you will squeeze a few more bhp out of it. You most watch out for over boosting on a decat system, so it may well be worth doing. If you have not yet done so pop a new filter in the standard box to improve its breathing, don't bother with an induction kit, not needed til your after 350bhp+
Old 10 January 2008, 10:07 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Thanks alot for advice. The previous owner to me ran the car on regular unleaded and said it was fine to do so. Since owning the car though I've only used V power.

The only reason I mentioned that was because on power engineering's website it says "We set the car up for UK unleaded fuel" so wasnt sure. Think I might get it remapped/tweaked at some point soon cos I definetly want to get the best out of it. Its getting uprated pads and discs this week though, then the 60000 mile service at some point this month so it'll have to be after that.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the help...and is there anything else I can be doing to keep the car healthy that might not already have been done??

Alan
Old 11 January 2008, 09:50 AM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Keep to the usual stuff mate, regular 7500 mile oil change. Let it warm up in the morning, dnt start booting it about till its nice and warm, and let it idle for about a minute or so after you`ve been driving it.

If your gona go for a map, you might want to consider a fuel pump to keep the "juice" running through the engine at a safe rate.
Old 11 January 2008, 05:08 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

ok cheers. been doin all that anyway, never go over 3k rpm till its at normal running temperature, and got a turbo timer for lettin it idle.
Old 11 January 2008, 05:33 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As this is a MY98 car the ECU is not one of the those that can be mapped easily. There are some mappers who are now catering for MY97-98 cars but a few years ago I think it would have been very difficult. Are you sure the engine management has been replaced and then mapped for the mods?

It might be worth having a look at the ecu. Do a search on here but it is basically in the passenger's footwell. Pull back carpet to reveal metal kick panel, remove nuts and the ECU will be underneath.

Cheers
Nick
Old 11 January 2008, 05:49 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

hmm didnt know that... will have a look tomorow as its gettin new brakes fitted anyway so will be in my mate's garage. Was considering giving andy forrest a phone regarding mapping it etc, pretty sure he does MY98 Uk turbo's....from what i've heard he seems to be able to do pretty much anything. lol.

Thanks again for advice
Old 11 January 2008, 06:02 PM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Agree with Nick, you`ll most probably need an Apexi or something similar.

Mine is MY98 and I went for Apexi.

Good Luck!!
Old 11 January 2008, 06:15 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you do investigate the ECU, a word of caution: be careful when you remove the kick panel - the edges can be quite sharp and I've heard of people grabbing at it and slicing their fingers!

Cheers
Nick