Notices

whats the next step?tuning a uk classic?

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2008, 06:21 PM
kev.d
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the next step?tuning a uk classic?

hi all,i have been looking through the forums and there some great info good site i must say..just wondering if you's could help me out any advise appreciated..
im looking as to what to go for now performance wise with my car.

the current spec

car is a early 98 uk spec
mods:

ihi vf35 turbo
gt spec manifold and up pipe(heat wrapped)
uprated ss downpipe/de cat(heat wrapped)
blitz nur spec full system
blitz sus induction kit
walbro 255 fuel pump
fuel lab fuel pressure regulator
sti 440cc yellow injectors
fmic+hks ssqv
apexi power fc
apexi avcr

future plans

would like to see a nice usable mid to high 300bhp if that was possible on standard internals?

the car's main aim will be track focused as well as the drag strip while keeping it road legal

power wise im looking to go for 2.35 setup for late 08 early 09 but for 08 would like a little more from the car have been thinking of goin down the md321 route just not sure to go for the h or the t??would the "h" be a good option to go for on standard 2.0 bottom end if safely mapped and be a suitable turbo for the 2.35 when the time comes to convert?

injectors?550's be a good upgrade?

engine wise iv got a set of sti v4 heads lined up was thinking of geting them ported and fit them to the uk bottom end or is this a waist of time+money on the current set up?

im aware my uk box isnt going to last to long i'll be replacing this with a stronger setup.

sorry for the long post thanks to all who went to the trouble of reading it,any advise/help much appreciated

Kevin

Last edited by kev.d; 01 January 2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: shortened post
Old 01 January 2008, 06:37 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

view my scooby
Old 01 January 2008, 08:57 PM
kev.d
Scooby Newbie

sweet car and spec dazza,that would be a similar setup that im aiming for eventually..

my main concern at the min is how the md321 will work with standard bottom end for now?and weither to go md321 h or t?and which injector size to run?

cheers
Old 01 January 2008, 10:49 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

as mine bud
you'll need 740s or flow matched 550s for sure

i had all the current work done at once
as in ej25 and md321t , pistons,rods,injectors.

i was running a vf34 on standard 2 litre with standard box

the box started whining so i got the PPG
then thought sod it, the box is good enough i might as well go further

when the standard bottom end was inspected the garage did comment on how good it still was , 55000 miles and run 350 bhp for 10 of them , bearing in mind it was well looked after, remapped after every mod , oil changed every 2k using fully synth motul 15/50 . the garage gave me 400 quid off my bill in exchange for my standard lump , which they fitted straight into a blown 99 everyone was happy and i hear it's still going strong today , 20000 miles later

it's not my daily driver though , take it out once a fortnight at the moment for 15-20 miles , but i do drag race alot at various places. and take it to a few shows.

Last edited by scoobyDAZZA; 01 January 2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01 January 2008, 11:40 PM
kev.d
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the reply mate

thats the sort of info im after lol..what im aiming for is say a 360/370bhp or so set up turbo/injector/heads that could be transfered over to a 2.5 or 2.3 bottom end to run 450bhp set up when the stronger block goes in..if you get where im going with this

would 740's be ok with a md321 on standard bottom end map??as that would be great i could transfer them over when changing blocks cutting down the cost of replacing injectors again 12 months down the line??

turbo wise is the big decision as from what iv gathered the md321 T is better suited to the 2.5block nice early spool up..and more laggy on the 2.0 and is rated as a good 450bhp turbo where as the H is more suited to the 2.0 but is rated as a good 400bhp turbo which leaves me lost as to which one is best for both my current 2.0 and if i change to a 2.3 which is better if you see what i mean..
my current thinking is the T as i dont mind the lag on the 2.0 as when used on strip/track would the car be in the power band??and it would suit the 2.3 better?and is rated at the target 450 which i would be aiming for with the forged build..

i would be much like yourself dazza the car's not my daily driver get drove once a week to keep things right,well looked after engines in good condition reads very low knock etc has only been in current spec for less than 1k mile and was near standard before that so im confident enough to up the power a little more untill i go forged..fingers crossed lol..

then theres sorting out the transmition but thats a topic for the drivetrain forum lol..
Old 02 January 2008, 04:04 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Personally if i were having a 2.35 i would want the MD321T and not the H to take full advamtage of the very strong engine, but i wouldn't want a T on a 2.0 particulary not a standard one, it would be laggy and you couldn't push the turbo at high revs without a strong "built" engine.

Think your better off waiting and getting it all done at once, maybe do the gearbox first. Your current setup should be around 320-340bhp i would of thought, why don't u have it mapped for 10% methanol to get about another 20bhp for now.
Old 02 January 2008, 04:29 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

agree with Dean , if you can get it all the engine work done at once then wait , or you will encounter problems,unless your very VERY carefull.

in the meantime(as Dean says) get your PPG and decent clutch / flywheel
Old 02 January 2008, 05:42 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

im running same spec as yours with vf28 an 550`s an im pushing just under 350bhp
Old 04 January 2008, 12:22 AM
kev.d
Scooby Newbie

i know i'd be pushing the engine to its limits its just hard to hold back
@turboDean yep 320-340 is the figure Andy Forrest put on the car when he maped it..its just id like a little more as im sure we all do lol...my aim would be to run high 12's next year on the strip would the current set up be up to that with a bit of weight loss,888's,twin plate clutch and a strenghtened gearbox??if i could achive that id be happy enough for now and keep it partly reliable??
i just feel the current set up wouldnt really cut it against rival car,i dont feel the acceleration is really upto the job??

transmition is a area im looking into before going to mad just lost as to weither to ppg the uk box or put in a close ratio sti 5 speed+diff,dccd and and then ppg it in time before the engine build or go 6speed dccd+diffs??main focus 1/4mile and track..
Old 04 January 2008, 03:06 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kev.d
transmition is a area im looking into before going to mad just lost as to weither to ppg the uk box or put in a close ratio sti 5 speed+diff,dccd and and then ppg it in time before the engine build or go 6speed dccd+diffs??main focus 1/4mile and track..
Think i depends what you want the car for really, if you want good 1/4 mile times then you'd be better off with the PPG 5 spd as people tend to get better times with them, the 6 spd weights more (about 30kg i believe) and you have an extra shift to make to get to the same speed.

I have a 6 spd box in my car, it took a lot of getting used to and i think i prefered the ratios on my 5 spd, if money were no object i would of gone PPG 5 spd, but couldn't warrent around £3K for a gearbox. I had a really good deal on my 6 spd so i'm happy and it means i can now go for a 2.5 and not have to worry about breaking the box
Old 07 January 2008, 08:31 PM
kev.d
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by turboDean
Think i depends what you want the car for really, if you want good 1/4 mile times then you'd be better off with the PPG 5 spd as people tend to get better times with them, the 6 spd weights more (about 30kg i believe) and you have an extra shift to make to get to the same speed.

I have a 6 spd box in my car, it took a lot of getting used to and i think i prefered the ratios on my 5 spd, if money were no object i would of gone PPG 5 spd, but couldn't warrent around £3K for a gearbox. I had a really good deal on my 6 spd so i'm happy and it means i can now go for a 2.5 and not have to worry about breaking the box
sounds like a ppg set up is what im after..cheers just need to do alot more saving but will be worth reliability and as yourself and other have pointed out it'll leave her ready for the conversion..