Notices

Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2007, 01:17 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining Noise

Had a look through previous posts I struggled to find anything exactly like my problem, so hopefully someone will be able to suggest the issue.

I had a low-pitched whinning noise a few weeks ago, but didn't bother too much with it cause it wasn't constant or seemingly causing any problems.

Had my brake pads changed recently and while the car was in, just had the engine oil and transmission oil changed. Now I have a high-pitched whining noise that raises with speed.

The noise happens whenever I touch the accelerator pedal, even just the slightest touch makes the noise. It doesn't happen when I'm not touching the accelerator pedal, and doesn't happen when I'm in neutral and on the gas.

Now, I'm guessing with my very limited knowledge, that it might be something to do with the transmission, particularly because it only happens when I'm touching the accelerator pedal and because I had the transmission oil changed so maybe somethings been upset.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter, or pinpoint exactly what it might be?
Old 18 December 2007, 01:32 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Power Steering pump mate....had this myself.Top it up but it looks like you have a leak.There is a tiny O ring that lets go on them.
Old 18 December 2007, 01:34 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Can't remember wether it made the noise when in neutral on the gas though...worth a shot.
Old 18 December 2007, 01:49 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AlanPPP
Power Steering pump mate....had this myself.Top it up but it looks like you have a leak.There is a tiny O ring that lets go on them.
Thanks mate, wouldn't ever have guessed it was a power steering pump, but hey, I know nowt except how to accelerate and (sometimes) brake!
Old 18 December 2007, 02:51 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

It was probably the last thing i thought it could be when it was mine but hey presto i filled up the resevoir and the noise went away

Have you sorted it already?
Old 18 December 2007, 02:58 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

It was probably the last thing i thought it could be when it was mine but hey presto i filled up the resevoir and the noise went away

'fraid not, don't have the car with me at work today and I wouldn't have a clue how to. Think the manual will need to get brought out on this one!
Old 18 December 2007, 03:23 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used to get a whine every time i put my foot down too but mine was coming from the front passenger seat.
Old 18 December 2007, 03:46 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

PMSL!
Old 20 December 2007, 01:36 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

Not sorted yet, but I checked the level and it's absolutely fine, so I'm just going to arrange a trip to the garage, which ain't going to be easy at this time of year.
Old 20 December 2007, 06:14 PM
Cosworth27
Scooby Regular

i have the same problem, car has been in the dealers a few times the last time for a new box under warranty! Bloody thing still whines, ionly in 3rd and 5th and very slightly in 6th. After it came back the last time I just gave up. everything works fine it hasnt worsened just hope it stays that way after the warranty runs out.

interesting about the power steering though going to check it out. Cheers Alan P
Old 21 December 2007, 08:53 AM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cosworth27
i have the same problem, car has been in the dealers a few times the last time for a new box under warranty! Bloody thing still whines, ionly in 3rd and 5th and very slightly in 6th. After it came back the last time I just gave up. everything works fine it hasnt worsened just hope it stays that way after the warranty runs out.

interesting about the power steering though going to check it out. Cheers Alan P
I really hope it's not the 'box. It's making the whining noise primarily in 3rd and 5th now, and a bit in 4th. Can't see this being a good thing!