Notices

How much power can a newage gearbox take?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2007, 12:59 PM
Heple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power can a newage gearbox take?

I have a MY99 UK turbo but i have heard that the newage wrx gearbox's take a little more power than mine and are a direct swap.

If so is there a particular year to go for?

Thanks

Craig
Old 28 November 2007, 02:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Heple
I have a MY99 UK turbo but i have heard that the newage wrx gearbox's take a little more power than mine and are a direct swap.

If so is there a particular year to go for?

Thanks

Craig
How much power have you got/want mate??

Any improvements probably arent worth the expense. I know several people on MY99 gearboxes running about 300-330 ft lbs torque, which is about what you get before things start getting very expensive and they''re just fine. My own MY99 has 316ft lbs and seems fine. Mapping and useage are bigger determinants of longevity and this level, I'd say, and any previous abuse before you got the car obviously!

If you are going to upgrade you may as well as well go for a 6 speed from a newage STi which are much stronger or a PPG 5 speed set. Speak to David at Api for advice.

If you're settling around the low 300s torque, I'd save your mony up for a 6 speed for it/when your current box lets go.
Ns04
Old 28 November 2007, 02:14 PM
Heple
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking about putting an 18G on thats why i'm wondering if it will take it, I know my current box is on its limit.

Craig
Old 28 November 2007, 03:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Heple
I'm thinking about putting an 18G on thats why i'm wondering if it will take it, I know my current box is on its limit.

Craig
That would most likely be too much for a new WRX age box too! Unless detuned, which kind of defeats the point of getting a big turbo

I'd stick with the current box and start saving for a 6 speed (which will handle it fine) for when it goes!

BUT

Are you on std engine internals- the 18G can get you to levels where longevity on non-forged internals can be an issue! I would have a word with someone like David at APi about an upgrade route that won't break the car....and the bank. After 320-340bhp in a classic to do things properly gets expensive!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 28 November 2007 at 03:18 PM.