help please forge engine builders

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2007, 10:38 PM
richtypera
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please forge engine builders

sti ra v4

bought my car few months ago as a 2.2 forged engine he said he forgot most the receipts when i met him and picked the car up

since then iv not got any reciepts his kids destroyd them or sumthing got me a bit worryd as iv already fitted a massive turbo

took my sump off and oil cover and from what i can see the pistons look forged as i have a standard rod n piston for wrx and sti in front of me.

the bore on the block seems to be around 95mm is not exact to the mm

but the rods look the same as standard sti thay have :53 on the bottem

the cranck doesnt look identical to the satndard i was looking at but on my crank it is still rough along the sides of the lips that the conrods bolt to.

i thought a forged crank was compleetly smooth.

a have seen kits that make it to 2.2 with forged crank and lighten and balanced rods which look identical to mine.

please help i need it to hold at least 500hp
Old 10 November 2007, 04:31 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way of telling for sure unless you strip the engine.
The rods sound like the are standard and not steel h section which you would expect to find in a "built" engine.
Old 10 November 2007, 04:42 PM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

mate you should just phone trading standard and get either a part refund, full refund or get him to prove it by getting copies of the receipts from the builder...really pisses me off this one as i had someone do the same to me, not with a whole car, just parts but I wasn’t happy and in the end couldn't be bothered chasng it, but for a whole bloody car I would!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if the person you got it from is telling the trust it will be easy to bet the builder to send a copy of the reciept
Old 10 November 2007, 10:15 PM
richtypera
Scooby Regular

striped the engine is an open deck standard internals. not happy. i got the car through ebay and now have no details for him. ( a big mistake on my part)

i drownd my sorrows buy buying a closed deck block omega pistons n rings h beam rods. just bout to buy bearings ( acl ) but want to know if i need 48mm or 52mm rod journals and my standard sti 96 ra crand is mid thrust not end thrust. am i right in thinking that.

should i use my crank or buy the 2.2 crank iv been offerd
Old 10 November 2007, 10:19 PM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

rich...if your gunna rebuild it again send me a PM and i will send you details of where i got my forged pistons/rods and bearings which should dave u alot of money i think...if your gunna go that route before putting it back together
Old 10 November 2007, 10:23 PM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

edited hehe

Last edited by WRXshaneWRX; 10 November 2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10 November 2007, 10:40 PM
richtypera
Scooby Regular

have you used standard crank what hp will it handle.
iv already got block pistons and rod. just kept ringing and ringing about my old engine and someone i know offerd me this little lot for £400. cant refuse it but the engine needs a crank so i thought about useing my standard one will it handle 500 hp

you got anything cheep i like cheep

thanks for helping bud

Trending Topics

Old 10 November 2007, 11:04 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

if you've bought a new block, pistons, rods and are going to buy new bearings, then I wouldn't skimp on not buying a new crank - it's not worth the saving. The seller has already lied to you about the state of the engine - what's to say that the crank you have hasn't been re-ground previously after a previous big end failure?

If you want big power (500bhp) then I would want to be sure about every component in the engine. If I were you I'd consider using a neage STI crank that has been nitrided and has improved oilways - then you may need to get the CDB machined to fit an end thrust crank - but it would be money wisely spent And I'm speaking from experience of successfully running an open deck block 2 litre at 504bhp and using it to the max on the track
Old 10 November 2007, 11:23 PM
richtypera
Scooby Regular

nice one mate thats awsom. how much will the crank cost and who does it
Old 10 November 2007, 11:43 PM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

only pistons i can get...terryb is defo one to listen too...i followed his specs ect to get mine done...still not cought up on power figures yet though lol
Old 11 November 2007, 10:37 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

richtypera

Any machine shop should be able to do the work, but I would use someone that has experience. A couple of people know that could organise this for you are:

Len at Subaru 4 You (Newbury)
Mark at Lateral Performance (N.London)
Alyn at AS Performance (Newcastle)

With the bearings, ensure you get the best - ACL RACE bearings - not the lower spec ACL bearings. Get some ARP head studs too - standard size should be fine

What turbo are you planning on using for the future build?
Old 11 November 2007, 11:26 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Terry, you forgot Zen performance and SMG from your list
Old 11 November 2007, 12:02 PM
richtypera
Scooby Regular

thanks mate anyone got any rough fiqures of the cost.

im running a Gt45

i know its big but i couldnt help myselt
Old 11 November 2007, 01:35 PM
richtypera
Scooby Regular

what bhp will my standard crank hold
Old 11 November 2007, 03:50 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Stock cranks are the least of your worries

The car's run by Andy Forrest, Zen Performance and Lateral all have standard cranks...and they all run in excess of 600 brake and 550lbft of Torque...it's the torque you need to be wary of.

As for costs, I hope you've got deep pockets! Machining an early block (properly) for a later crank costs up to 200 quid. If you're expecting to produce big power out of a 2 litre then you're going to want to run silly high revs to get a usable power band, that means very good quality matched components as well balanced as possible.

If you go for the cubic capacity route (advisable) then you're going to need to have the 2 litre closed deck block relinered to increase the bore and a 2.5 crank to increase the stroke.

Basically to go from 450/450 of each (which is achievable with an EJ257 short engine with rods and pistons) to anything higher, that will hold together, you are jumping from a 3k build to a 10k to 20k build depending on what you go for.

Big power in a Subaru is expensive, and it doesn't stop with the engine, the transmission needs up rating with a custom gear kit (no standard Subaru 5 speed box will last at these levels) or a 6 speed from a new age Sti. The fuelling becomes interesting and expensive replacement engine management is also a necessity (anything from 750 quid to 6k for the ecu alone) then add the mapping costs.
Old 11 November 2007, 07:35 PM
richtypera
Scooby Regular

hello mate thanks for the reply
got the rest of the stuff sorted 6 speed link ecu 800cc injectors big turbo exernal wastegate reversed inlet parralel rails. it goes on. i know what ur saying it isnt cheep but i dont want to runn aiger ltr engine just whant to stick with a 2ltre.
Old 11 November 2007, 10:02 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

2 litre and a GT45 - I would seriously re-consider that. A GT30 based turbo is laggy enough on a 2 litre, a 45 would be undriveable IMHO.

MD321T - that's what you want mate
Old 11 November 2007, 10:59 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

I'm totally with you there Terry Depending on what version Link you have you may need to reconsider that too...