Notices

Prosport Gauges URGENT HELP pleeaassee!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2007, 08:23 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Prosport Gauges URGENT HELP pleeaassee!!!

Hey guys, I've got a set of 3 prosport stepper gauges to go in the centre dash pod, and had the car booked into my local garage today to have em wired up. The mechanic has hit a few problems tho!

Okay, first of all, this bit......

Is that meant to replace the sump plug? Then the oil temp sensor is meant to go into it? That's where the guy thought it went, but was saying it was slightly too small? This is the part no if it helps.....

The instructions with the gauges are absolute bollocks lol, they just make no sense at all! Well, not to me or him anyway! He wanted me to try and find out off you guys if the gauges need a permanent live feed, or if they just need to be wired up with the ignition? It says in the 'instructions' to wire them up to 'ACC'? Which he took to mean 'accessory', as in, the first click on the ignition sorta thing. I want the gauges to illuminate white, whether the headlights are on or not. Cuz there's an option of wiring them up differently if you want them to illuminate amber or whatever when you turn ur headlights on. So he was just thinking of wiring up the gauges for white illumination with the ignition and then that's all he needs to do yeah? Cuz if I want em to stay white when the headlights are turned on then no other wiring has to be connected to headlight circuit or anything surely? They'll just come on white with the ignition......then just stay white regardless of headlights yeah?

Cheers in advance for your help guys
Old 10 November 2007, 01:42 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Okay, so looking around the internet it looks like the oil temp adapter that I've got a pic of above, is meant to go on cylinder 3 or something? It's nothing to do with the sump plug? That would explain why it doesn't fit there! So what has to unplug from wherever that has to end up on cylinder 3 then!? Or do I need to get some kinda t-piece adaptor so they both fit?

Omg this is so confusing lol, wish I'd never started really! You guys seem to have all done it quite easily tho, those of you who have fitted the gauges yourselves? There is just no straight forward step-by-step guide ANYWHERE that I can find. The instructions that came with em are absolute CRAP.....I mean.....how are people meant to be able to fit em succesfully?!?! Pain in the bloody ****!!
Old 10 November 2007, 02:11 AM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have fitted oil temp and oil pressure gauges myself.

Oil Pressure
An Error Has Occurred!

Oil Temp
An Error Has Occurred!

Let me know if you cant see those. You may need to be a member to see the page.

Last edited by ScuuBdoo; 10 November 2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10 November 2007, 02:27 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScuuBdoo
I have fitted oil temp and oil pressure gauges myself.

Oil Pressure
An Error Has Occurred!

Oil Temp
An Error Has Occurred!

Let me know if you cant see those. You may need to be a member to see the page.
Hey cheers man, but when I click on the links it says "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

Does that mean I have to register?
Old 10 November 2007, 02:29 AM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

You probably have to register. Send me your email address and I will email pictures of how I fitted mine.
Old 10 November 2007, 02:56 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

So can somebody just clarify that this bit has got NOTHING to do with the sump plug?........

And also, do the gauges need a permanent live feed, or do they have to be wired up with the ignition?

That's me all sorted once I know those 2 things

Cheers guys
Old 10 November 2007, 02:59 AM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

That has nothing to do with the sump plug.

Trending Topics

Old 10 November 2007, 03:02 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScuuBdoo
That has nothing to do with the sump plug.
Cheers fella, I can see that now from ur email
Old 10 November 2007, 07:48 AM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

I have boost and volt gauges in the A pillar and i just wired them up to the cigarette lighter for the illumination works first click of the ignition with the light on..
Old 10 November 2007, 10:22 AM
chris.s.j.todd
Scooby Regular

Hi, have fitted a set my self also. the best way i found to wire them in was to solder the same the power cables together, i.e. red to red to red, black to black to black etc. the red needs to have a constant live, black to earth. then depanding on what you want eg. amber white etc depends on what you connect the white and orange too. you said that you wanted white all the time so all that is needed is the white wire which goes to an ignition switched feed eg, cd player, ignition first acc position.

with regards to the oil pressure and temp you can use the cylinder 3 adapter for the temp and then take out the factory pressure switch and replace with the new gauge sender. or you can just use a sandwich plate to connect the new sender too.

hope this helps

chris
Old 10 November 2007, 01:49 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shogo10
I have boost and volt gauges in the A pillar and i just wired them up to the cigarette lighter for the illumination works first click of the ignition with the light on..
Okay so ur gonna have to forgive me for knowing NOTHING about car eletricals here lol.....cuz 3 people so far have told me I should connect to the ignition, so they come on first click sorta thing.......then chris says in the post above this that they need a permanent live.....but to connect the white wire to the ignition? So they kinda need a permanent live and be connected to the ignition?? I'm a bit confused. Is that the same sorta principle as my amp in the boot has got a permanent live....but the remote connection to the stereo (which I assume is the same sorta thing as the white lead for these gauges?) actually turns the power on when you turn the stereo on? Or when you turn the ignition on in the case of the gauges? Cuz the guy was saying aswell, the gauges are meant to be able to store peak values, so he thought that's what the permanent live was for, so they had some power to remember stuff like.

Sorry if I'm being really stupid here!

Cheers for all ur help so far guys
Old 10 November 2007, 02:17 PM
chris.s.j.todd
Scooby Regular

yep that's correct they need permanent live to save peak, warning levels and power (red wire). and the white to the ignition live to tell the guages to come on and what colour to use(white wire light up white all the time).
Old 10 November 2007, 03:54 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris.s.j.todd
yep that's correct they need permanent live to save peak, warning levels and power (red wire). and the white to the ignition live to tell the guages to come on and what colour to use(white wire light up white all the time).
Cheers Chris!
Old 12 November 2007, 02:37 PM
chris.s.j.todd
Scooby Regular

Not a problem if you have any more Q's just pm me with your e-mail as it's faster.
Old 12 November 2007, 03:43 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris.s.j.todd
Not a problem if you have any more Q's just pm me with your e-mail as it's faster.
I think I know everything I need to know now guys. Cheers for all of your help. I'll let you know how it goes on thursday when it's all gonna be finished off hopefully!

Thanks again