Notices

oil coolers

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2007, 08:13 PM
clint ford
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil coolers

im looking to fit a oil cooler to my new age sti but the prices varey as do the amount of rows dose any body know the best one ive seen 25 rows 13 if i get the bigger one will the oil get over cooled
Old 01 November 2007, 01:27 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your oil temperature ?
If not I suggest you spend £40 on an oil temperature guage or £60 on a combined oil temperature / oil pressure guage as there is a good chance you will find you do not have an oil temperature issue.
Old 01 November 2007, 12:01 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Only necessary if you want to go on track. Good oil cooler kits are thermostatically controlled so overcooling not an issue. I have an SC one fitted to remapped 03STi and temp runs 80-90 on road and tops out at 105 on track. A mate with an 06STi without a cooler runs 100 on road and gets to 120 on track which is getting near acceptable limits.
Old 02 November 2007, 12:45 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The oil manufacturers and some car manufacturers will tell you that oil temperature should not exceed 140 C. For me that sounds a bit on the high side and my self imposed limit which I only see on the hottest days of the year, on high powered Scoobs, on track is 125 C.
On several Classic Scoobs, I have noticed that they cruise around 80-85 C while New age cars are warmer by up to 10C. On WOT the temps can rise by 15-25C. More on track and more on high powered cars.
Old 02 November 2007, 10:10 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Where are you guys measuring the temp? Above no.3 or in the sump?
Old 02 November 2007, 10:55 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

TBH I havn't a clue as Scoobyclinic fitted it for me, not the sump but could be in sandwich plate (on cooler connections). Temps make sense so must be in right place.
Old 02 November 2007, 01:42 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

the oil temp is take from the top of the block
Old 02 November 2007, 05:36 PM
clint ford
Scooby Newbie

ive been looking at oil coolers because i do drive hard and have just had to replace my engine as the big end let go its more of a prevention therey really as it has been a time consuming and expensive exersize so any more idears would help. how much did you pay for your oil cooler from sc
Old 02 November 2007, 08:52 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Isn't there a cooler thermosat that can be fitted that opens at 71C instead of 78C, which helps cool the oil better?

Made by Zerosports I think.

Anders
Old 03 November 2007, 04:06 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Anders : You are correct. Several people supply thermostats that open at temperatures below the factory item which I think is marked 78 deg C.
If you have an oil temperature issue, then running water cooler will drop oil temperature to a certain extent.
Clint : How do you know you have an oil temperature issue? Running an oil cooler will not stop big ends going if you do not already have an oil over temperature issue.
For a number of reasons I usually measure oil temperature in the sump. Measuring from the blank hole above No. 3 cylinder will result in slightly higher readings and if you are using this method, ensure the probe is long enough to reach into the gallery.
Remember that the O/E water temperature guage will not move from its normal position, all the way from around 62 or 64C up to 100C.
Also remember that if you are running low water temperature you will not develop full power and oil operating below 80C is a bad thing.
Having fitted an accurate water temperature guage, nearly a month ago, I have today removed the low temp stat (68C???) in favour of the Subaru item as water temperatures were very slow to rise and often ran in the high 60s. I want to see 80C in the water and expect the existing oil temperature will come up a little more. This is a good thing because I have recently changed oil grade and combined with the cooler weather, oil temperature in the cruise is around 76-78 C.
Like I said above, oil coolers are often not required and will be a retrograde step if they are fitted in situations where they are not needed, never mind the additional wasted expense.
Old 04 November 2007, 10:54 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Anders : You are correct. Several people supply thermostats that open at temperatures below the factory item which I think is marked 78 deg C.
If you have an oil temperature issue, then running water cooler will drop oil temperature to a certain extent.
Clint : How do you know you have an oil temperature issue? Running an oil cooler will not stop big ends going if you do not already have an oil over temperature issue.
For a number of reasons I usually measure oil temperature in the sump. Measuring from the blank hole above No. 3 cylinder will result in slightly higher readings and if you are using this method, ensure the probe is long enough to reach into the gallery.
Remember that the O/E water temperature guage will not move from its normal position, all the way from around 62 or 64C up to 100C.
Also remember that if you are running low water temperature you will not develop full power and oil operating below 80C is a bad thing.
Having fitted an accurate water temperature guage, nearly a month ago, I have today removed the low temp stat (68C???) in favour of the Subaru item as water temperatures were very slow to rise and often ran in the high 60s. I want to see 80C in the water and expect the existing oil temperature will come up a little more. This is a good thing because I have recently changed oil grade and combined with the cooler weather, oil temperature in the cruise is around 76-78 C.
Like I said above, oil coolers are often not required and will be a retrograde step if they are fitted in situations where they are not needed, never mind the additional wasted expense.
Harvey,

Are you running a standard Subaru radiator, or an uprated item? The reason I ask is that I currently see 95C oil temperatures on the cruise with around 100C driving around town. These temps are slightly higher since fitting your FMIC kit (which works great BTW).

I was planning on fitting the Zerosports 71C thermostat and assumed (perhaps wrongly), that this would lower my oil temps by around 5 - 6C. This would mean my oil would be well within operating temperature range.

I read a tweak to the map is required to remove the electronic choke a little earlier, when running one of these?

Cheers

Anders
Old 05 November 2007, 12:43 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The New Age cars run warmer than the Classics.
O/E radiator and I see no reason to run anything else.
Lower water temp will reduce oil temp. but at present you do not know what water temp you are running.
A 68 C low temp thermostat as opposed to the O/E 78 C reduces oil temp by around 6 C.
I doubt that any alteration is required to the map for a thermostat 7-10 C below the O/E item.
Old 05 November 2007, 01:03 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

just out of interest harvey y run it from the sump? surely the first signs of issue would be temp spike in the cylinder rather than the sump (although the sump in theory wouldn't be far behind? and also wont it be more accurate from the cylinder due to the varying degree of cooling between the piston and the sump?
Old 05 November 2007, 07:41 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
The New Age cars run warmer than the Classics.
O/E radiator and I see no reason to run anything else.
Lower water temp will reduce oil temp. but at present you do not know what water temp you are running.
A 68 C low temp thermostat as opposed to the O/E 78 C reduces oil temp by around 6 C.
I doubt that any alteration is required to the map for a thermostat 7-10 C below the O/E item.
I read that the electonic choke or 'cold enrichment' is only turned off at 80C, so the map might need to be tweaked to drop it a few degrees under this.

I thought a drop of 5-6C in oil temperature would be a good thing? It's not taking my oil temps anywhere near danagerous levels.

Andre