Notices

MAF Sensor cleaning....

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2002, 07:52 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would anyone be so kind as to direct me as to the correct procedure in cleaning the MAF sensor in my MY99.

I understand that my best method would be to spray it with some kind of cleaning spray, however as to what kind of spray to use I do not know.

Am I completely barking up the wrong tree here?

Any help would be appreciated as I'd like to do it this weekend.
Old 10 January 2002, 10:06 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

no one?
Old 10 January 2002, 10:24 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

I had a MAF failure on my my99 last year,dealer put it down to pipercross induction kit.The unit is fitted with tamperproof screws which i drilled out.I tried cleaning the sensor with pure alcohol and cotton wool but to no avail.

If i remember correctly from previous threads,i think the my 99 has a different type of sensor than that of the earlier models and doesn't really take to cleaning.(one's a wire sensor and the others a film sensor).

I had to buy a new MAF sensor,dealer was looking for around £300,however i got one from an advert in the autotrader for £150.
Fitted it with standard panel filter and reset e.c.u ,no problems since. (sorry cant be of any more help mate).
Old 10 January 2002, 10:28 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

hmmm..... i think I'll carry on as I am then.

I've had a look - it seems to be just a plate of metal (that's the best way of describing it) rather than a wire. Is this the "film" type you're on about?
Old 11 January 2002, 08:07 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

sorry to butt in on your question but I just wondered
can you clean MY98 maf sensors? and how do you do it?

thanks Stuart
Old 11 January 2002, 11:08 PM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

Electrical cleaning solvent is the stuff to use. It is worth trying before you fork out for a new MAF sensor. Quite as a few have had success with the hot wire MAF sensor but not alot of success with the hot film type. I had my hot film one go twice and both times appeared to be spotless! The screws that hold it in are tamper proof, but you can get the tool you need v.cheap from Screwfix direct of all places! I think I was about 4 quid for a set of anti-tamper tool heads.
Induction kits (or the poor fitting of) has been blamed for MAF faliures, particularly the later version. I now have a K&N cone with STi trumpet and have had no problems since. Also, haven't heard of anyone having problems with this set up.
Old 11 January 2002, 11:11 PM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

Sorry, just reread your original post. Do you have the check engine light coming on? Unless you have, I wouldn't advise on cleaning the sensor. The film is very delicate and you could end up ruining it completely. Only give it a try it if it's diagnosed as needing replacement.
Old 11 January 2002, 11:47 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

My engine light is not illuminated. The cleaning of the MAF came from this geezer at my local scooby dealer.

I'm not gonna touch it though. Thanks anyway.
Old 12 October 2002, 05:28 AM
Peaty
Scooby Regular

Just an FYI here in the states they recalled all 99MY MAF's Quite a few were blowing. Lots of guys had to get new ones at ~350USD each. Later we found out the part number for just the sensor part at 45 USD conderable cheaper. I have the part numbers and details on the recall here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=414&highlight=MAF

Not sure if the PN is the same on that side of the pond though. The replacement MAF is still the thin film type but I understand the way it's made makes it less suseptable to blowing.

As far as cleaning them, the sensor part can be removed and cleaned with some contact cleaner. Use the type that will leave now residue. Both the thin film (MY99 only) and hot wire type can be cleaned this way. Also, those funny screws to remove the sensor are called Safety Torx fasteners. Here the local auto part stores sell the proper driver.

Peaty

[Edited by Peaty - 12/10/2002 5:31:57 AM]
Old 01 November 2002, 06:40 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Yep,thats the bit i tried cleaning,was very gentle with cotton wool,although not much dirt came off the film there were very fine scratches on it.
Dealer told me subaru don't recomend oil coated induction kits or filters and better off sticking with a replacement panel filter.

The film sensor is just not as robust as the hot wire sensor.

If you have the check engine light on and it's down to the MAF,then chances are it will need replaced.

[Edited by Trucker Ted - 1/11/2002 6:43:48 PM]