Raising Boost On 55 Plate UK STi

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2007, 10:29 PM
kpkpkp
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising Boost On 55 Plate UK STi

Up'ing the boost!
What is best way for around 300-320bhp with minimal fuss and expense but with no more upgrades and reliability in mind

Thanks

Kp
Old 21 October 2007, 10:39 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remap it
Old 21 October 2007, 10:47 PM
kpkpkp
Scooby Newbie

Where is the best place to get it done in Hampshire/West Sussex?

Kp
Old 21 October 2007, 10:58 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about from your house

JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Simon
Old 21 October 2007, 11:07 PM
kpkpkp
Scooby Newbie

I am in if anyone else on here use you and rates you?

Many thanks

Kp
Old 22 October 2007, 01:51 PM
KelvSTi
Scooby Regular

I have used Simon (JGM) and he is very good and always happy to give advice.

Kelvin
Old 22 October 2007, 02:32 PM
turboturner
Scooby Regular

Ive used Simon..Very good indeed..excellent results
Old 27 October 2007, 08:12 PM
kpkpkp
Scooby Newbie

I was thinking of getting one of these . . . . . .AEM Plug & Play Programmable Engine Management Systems: AVM-30-1810 - summitracing.com

as they control boost, fuel, air and timing and are suppose to be super simple to set up and eliminate the issues you get when using a static map that cant adjust for colder weather or or differing parameters - tell it to run at 14psi and it will, no overboost no fuel cut just does what you tell it.

Anyone used on or got one?

Kp
Old 27 October 2007, 08:54 PM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

Kp

I would really, really suggest that you start reading through the old tech threads

The come back and get someone to just map it properly before your next post is asking who does the best rebuild. Only try cutting corners if and when you ever know what you are doing.

BTW the remaps are not static maps anyway and will compensate just fine for cold weather etc in the same way as the ecu currently does
Old 27 October 2007, 10:17 PM
kpkpkp
Scooby Newbie

Was not trying to cut corners I just dont want to have to payout every time I change my cars setup. I used to have a 350BHP 200SX S14A and I have just sold my very trick E46 M3 SMG - I have had a fair bit of experiance with units like the Greddy E-Manage and Apexi commander but there is always a draw back - like having your car remapped everytime you add a new mod or decided to change something - the unit in question allows you command the 4 main parameters required for tuning a turbo'd car. Unlike many other these are supposed to be very easy to set up and you would have to get it pretty wrong to throw a rod or melt a piston.

The one thing I do not have prior knowledge of is the limitations of the boxer engine - for example how much boost can it take on standard internals, are there many problems with MAFs playing up, do they hit fuel cut easily. Cutting corners is not something I want to do hence I am after a piece of kit that allows maximum adjustability - I am just curious to know what is the chice kit of the boost junkies on the forum and is this piece of kit new to the forum.

Many thanks and no offence meant in the post above - I just want to make sure I don't end up in the situation you mentioned above.

Kp
Old 28 October 2007, 01:27 AM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

none taken kp - didn't know you had been around the block a bit. You would be surprised how many donuts turn up on here, do something dumb then regret it !! Just trying to prevent that

(BTW - the unit that you are looking at does look very interesting, interested like you to see what others think about it)
Old 28 October 2007, 12:18 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Using the standard VF35, I think most of the experts would suggest you don't exceed 1.5 to 1.6 bar boost on standard internals.

I have not had a remap by Jolly Green Monster (mine was by another well known tuner), but have only heard good feedback from those who's cars have been mapped by him.

An uprated panel filter, walboro fuel pump and remap should get you to your 320bhp. Would definitely be worth changing the exhaust if you can afford it - and a second hand Prodive exhaust with sports cat (from the PPP kit) is probably the best option at that level (if you have no intention of taking it further in the future) and will keep the car MOT legal.