Induction dew point issues? with excessive charge air cooling

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2007, 05:39 PM
linky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Induction dew point issues? with excessive charge air cooling

Gents,
I think i might have come up with a design to use existing equipment on the car to drop the charge air temp down dramitically. I have done some basis calcs and the only issue i have is dropping the air temp, after charge air cooler(Intercooler), down too far and causing the air to reach the dew point.

With modern fuels i know that sulphur content has dropped but if the dew point was reached would there still be a possibliity of causing cold corrosion in the combustion space? or could this moisture be usefull re- water mist?

Any and all views/ideas/facts on this subject would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Linky
Old 21 October 2007, 06:06 PM
linky
Scooby Regular

Oh .....my other issue is does anyone have any idea what the load in Kw is for the air condition compressor.
Also if anyone would have any heat transfer figures/information about the condensor on this system would be of great help

Thanks again for any help

Linky
Old 22 October 2007, 12:11 AM
linky
Scooby Regular

Must be someone out there with some views/facts on this one??
Old 22 October 2007, 09:12 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Linky, ask on 22b.com - you may get a better response
Old 28 October 2007, 07:09 PM
linky
Scooby Regular

Thanks jay,
I shall try there.

Regards
Linky
Old 28 October 2007, 08:12 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're using an air-air intercooler, you'll never get charge temp below ambient air temp. It cannot happen as no chargecooler is 100% efficient so it cannot ever get 'charge temp = ambient temp', let alone even colder inside the pipes than outside.

If, for the sake of argument, you could get the charge temp lower than the ambient temp, (say on an offshore powerboat supplying unlimited cold seawater through a water-air chargecooler) the sheer amount of airflow passing through the system would be enough to prevent visible droplets of water forming. And even if they did, this would not be adding any water content to the charge, it would have been there in the first place, and simply changed from vapour into liquid. And even if this did happen and droplets of water were flying through your chargecooling system, as soon as they hit the throttle plate and inlet manifold they'd be broken up physically and/or evaporated by the heat of the engine itself. Remember whatever the chargecooling is taking out of the inlet charge temp, the engine can easily replace by warming the charge up on the way into the cylinders.

So basically, I wouldn't worry about it!
Old 28 October 2007, 08:19 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And another thing, if you think you've come up with a self-contained chargecooling system that can do the kind of sustained cooling that you think it can, you better check it works and patent it quick!

I don't know how serious an inventor you are but if your idea is to rig up a car air con system to cool inlet charge, it has been discussed on just about every car forum at one time another. It cannot work, if that's what you're thinking. Mainly because the continuous airflow through an engine's intake side is huge in volume. An air con system designed for the relatively trivial task of keeping a passenger cabin at 20 degrees is not even close to being able to cool that amount of charge air. And if you could build an air con system that would chargecool for an engine down to below ambient temperature, it would be too enormous and power hungry to be feasible on a car.