Notices

Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2007, 05:47 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Problem

Ok, I have a 95WRX and the other week I took my power steering fluid reservoir off to replace the o-ring at the base. Everything seemed fine till today. It has started to make a terrible wining noise and steering has become heavy and groans when I turn the wheel. The fluid appears to have bubbles in it while the engine is running so I think I may have an air lock. Is there anyway to bleed the system or anyone else have any idea what could be wrong with it? When I start the engine at first its fine but after 10-15 seconds it starts again.

Also what are the chances of it seizing up and if it did, would that effect the rest of the car (don’t want cam belt snapping or anything)?

Thanks
Old 19 October 2007, 06:13 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Ok, just tried turning steering wheel from left to right to clear air lock and fluid keeps overflowing like a froth and it sounds worse.

Anyone know what is wrong, has the pump died? Something is pumping the fluid out though so I'm confused.

HELP!!!!!
Old 19 October 2007, 06:37 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXtra power
Ok, I have a 95WRX and the other week I took my power steering fluid reservoir off to replace the o-ring at the base. Everything seemed fine till today. It has started to make a terrible wining noise and steering has become heavy and groans when I turn the wheel. The fluid appears to have bubbles in it while the engine is running so I think I may have an air lock. Is there anyway to bleed the system or anyone else have any idea what could be wrong with it? When I start the engine at first its fine but after 10-15 seconds it starts again.

Also what are the chances of it seizing up and if it did, would that effect the rest of the car (don’t want cam belt snapping or anything)?

Thanks
when i have had steering fluid drained going lock to lock a few times gets the fluid round the system,after that had no problems.
from what you say it has been a while since you did it so i would hazard a guess at the pump being knackered.

if it seized up (which in my opinion is not very likely) you would completely lose power steering so would be very heavy,it would probably just throw the drive belt off so you would lose charging aswell.
Old 19 October 2007, 08:35 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if there is a air lock stopping fluid gettin to the pump, then it will packup almost instantly. time for a new pump or build those biceps up!!

Last edited by L.J.F; 19 October 2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 22 October 2007, 06:27 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Right, I have ordered second hand pump and while removing old one I noticed my o-ring was broken at the bottom of the reservoir, so it must of been drawing air in with the fluid.

I replaced it and he ho it worked fine. Till about an hour or so later when it has started to draw the air in again. The o-ring I replaced it with was slightly different size but the closest match I could find, so I guess it just was not a tight enough seal.

Anyone know where to get the exact size o-ring from or will Subaru send parts? I don't have a local dealership.
Old 23 October 2007, 08:16 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Just did mine today think I used a metric 110, was a little thicker than the one i took off (which was perished) but once the resivoir was bolted down it seemed fine.

Took her for a test drive and it seemed a lot more responsive (or maybe its cos i drove my 1980 land rover to work this morning that it felt quite responsive).

While you have it off, probably worth checking the one between the resevoir plate and the ps pump! Mine was ok, but i swapped it out while i had it apart! Not sure what size it was but considerably larger!
Old 24 October 2007, 09:10 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by satancom
Just did mine today think I used a metric 110, was a little thicker than the one i took off (which was perished) but once the resivoir was bolted down it seemed fine.

Took her for a test drive and it seemed a lot more responsive (or maybe its cos i drove my 1980 land rover to work this morning that it felt quite responsive).

While you have it off, probably worth checking the one between the resevoir plate and the ps pump! Mine was ok, but i swapped it out while i had it apart! Not sure what size it was but considerably larger!

Thanks, I have a subaru o-ring on it's way to me now. As for the one between the pump and the plate, I didn't even have one of them so I wasn't sure if one was meant to go there or not. Will find a suitable o-ring for the job or maybe even some sealant as it doesn't appear to be such an important seal (more af a gasket).