Notices

up pipe seems to be cracked

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2007, 08:07 PM
scooby-power
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default up pipe seems to be cracked

iv been told that my up pipe on my 93 wrx is cracked , so im going to get new stainless one . im just wondering
1st will this currently be affecting my cars preformance ?

2nd how hard is it to remove and fit new one ?

cheers
Old 16 October 2007, 08:28 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Be careful what you replace it with, the aftermarket up-pipes are normally larger diameter than standard oem up-pipe, this reduces gas speed and inturn increases the spool threshold of the turbo. I would just get another oem up-pipe unless you are planning on a 400+ conversion.

Depending how bad the crack is but would definately be affecting performance.

If you've not changed it before I reckon it will take about 3 Hours, you have to take the downpipe off to access some of the nuts on the up-pipe.
Old 16 October 2007, 08:47 PM
scooby-power
Scooby Regular

ok m8 cheers , thats lucky you said about the larger diameter up pipe , i was planning on getting one (i thought it would be better for performance) so just stick with oem diameter up pipe then , do you know what the standard diameter is of the oem up pipe is ?

cheers
Old 16 October 2007, 08:51 PM
m_reed1
Scooby Regular

Hya,

I had the same problem mine was cracked round the flange, so I took it to a local welder and he welded it for £15, good job well chuffed,

mark
Old 16 October 2007, 09:01 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-power
ok m8 cheers , thats lucky you said about the larger diameter up pipe , i was planning on getting one (i thought it would be better for performance) so just stick with oem diameter up pipe then , do you know what the standard diameter is of the oem up pipe is ?

cheers
Not sure if it is the same through all the years, but my oem one (my00) is 42mm Internal diameter (at the turbo end)
Old 16 October 2007, 10:12 PM
scooby-power
Scooby Regular

according 2 the mechanic mine is cracked on the flexible part of the up pipe so not sure if it can be welded or if i have to replace it but i wouldnt mind getting a stainless one to replace it with if i had to ,

cheers guys
Old 16 October 2007, 10:27 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got a Magnex up-pipe fitted on mine.

IIRC £200 supplied, wrapped and fitted.

This is a turbo off job, so you'll be knackered if you shear a stud, unless you have the tools to remove that stud and re-tap if needed.

P.S. Go into User CP, Edit Profile, scroll down to location and put in where you're from, will make it a lot easier for people to help you out, as they can point you in the direction of places close to you. Or put where you're from in you post.

Micky

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 2007, 03:10 PM
sime73
Scooby Regular

i'm just getting mine done now, its been an absolute nightmare of a job.

i had to leave the car with the garage cos after 3 hours waiting, it was just getting re-fitted!

the intercooler came off, offside part of the header, the downpipe, back engine mount to lift the engine a touch because the up-pipe bracket would not fit through the gap to get it out....

the stainless up-pipe i had to fit did not have the 5 studs fitted with it, so the studs off my original one had to be removed and they are prone to shearing..which 2 did..the bore size was bigger on it too so the gasket i had would not seal it.
Old 17 October 2007, 04:49 PM
scooby-power
Scooby Regular

sounds like a nightmare of a job , would there be any point in me wrapping the up pipe if my headers are not wrapped ?
and if the down pipe has to come off would there be an benifits in wrapping this ?
i been told that wrapping causes cracking is this true ?
also iv been told that oem diameter of up pipe on my93 wrx is 45mm so would fitting an up pipe of 50mm cause incresed spool up and reduce gas speed as sscjay says above , i dont want to buy any thing which is going to have a negitive affect on performance.
cheers for help so far , im in gloucester

Last edited by scooby-power; 17 October 2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 17 October 2007, 04:58 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Either buy an OE one or contact Harvey Smith off here and buy one of his up-pipes, but to be honest unless you are porting the headers and wrapping them at the same time I would get an OE one.

It's not a bad job if you can use a ramp, I did mine in about an hour with lots of extension bars and a windy gun. You do not need to remove the turbo just the headers. You will also need to undo the right side engine mount and lift the engine a tad so you can slide it out.
Old 18 October 2007, 09:31 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that.

The info from T50LF and SSCJAY is good.
You do not need a new purpose designed, slip jointed and DEI wrapped up-pipe if you are not going for ported headers.
Heat wrapping headers, up-pipes and down pipes, IF DONE PROPERLY, has several advantages and it does not cause the material to crack unless it is poor quality stainless found on many cheap header sets.
The O/E Classic up-pipe is 41.7 mm diameter and has a heat shield. There is therefore no point heat wrapping the O/E up-pipe unless the shield is removed because of rattles. A common problem.

I have an O/E up-pipe here for your car with heat shields in very good condition. £25. if you want it e-mail harveysmith1@btopenworld.com