Notices

Inlet temps with autobahn fmic?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2007, 12:09 PM
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inlet temps with autobahn fmic?

Just wondered if anyone has monitored there inlet temps using the autobahn fmic? if so what peak temps have you seen on a warm/hot day at WOT.
Old 02 October 2007, 02:32 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had a charge temp in for around a week, and have noticed, on a 30mph drive it is around 1deg lower than air temp.

i.e air temp 17 deg, charge temp 16 deg.

havent really giving it a go, as had to send it back as the back lit screen stopted working grrrr
Old 02 October 2007, 02:35 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

Bob Rawle is happy enough with mine , not sure on the temps though .
Old 02 October 2007, 02:35 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

sorry to hijack, but where do you get the inlet temp gauges from, do defi do them?

S!
Old 02 October 2007, 07:23 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

On a daily commute mine keeps charge temps around 5 degrees above ambient, rising to +10 if you drive a little more enthusiastically. On track I've seen 15-20 degrees over ambient and that is caning it, full throttle or nothing, 1.5 bar of boost for 15 minutes stretches on circuit.

I use an STi air temp sensor which I tapped into my FMIC pipework just before the throttle body, hooked up to my Apexi Power FC which gives a charge temp readout.

PS DaOne either your ambient temp measurement or your charge temp measurement (or both) is a little bit out. It's impossible for an air-air intercooler to ever cool the charge to below ambient temperature. In fact it would be quite an achievement to get it to even match ambient temp. About the only time charge temps can go lower than ambient is if you're actually chilling the intercooler core with CO2/N2O or like some power boats, where the chargecooling is done with a limitless supply of water which is colder than the surrounding air.
Old 02 October 2007, 08:21 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

the air temp, is the standard one, that i use with the apexi power fc, it is in the inner wing, next to the filter (aps kit)

and the charge temp, is in the fmic pipe just before the butterfly as it goes into the engine. i use a charge temp gauge brought from RB motorsport.

see what you mean about the temp defference between the 2 (also ambent temp)
i get the gauge back at the end of the week, as the back light is being repaired at the mo.

i will have another look then and see what it reads.

i thought if the air is going through the fmic that is ally, it would be colder asthe ally disperses the heat., when you touch the exit side of the fmic, it feels alot colder than the air temp?
Old 02 October 2007, 08:50 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

I got an autobhan........

A Recent Mapping session at the Simpson residence, showed Temperature of approx 12 degree's above ambient........

Old 03 October 2007, 04:52 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Yes it does feel colder on the FMIC outlet but that's because it's metal and will naturally conduct away heat from your finger faster than the air itself will, so the metal feels 'cold' when in fact it's just better at heat conduction. Put a thermometer to it and the true temperature will show.

The charge air inside the FMIC is transferring its heat firstly to the FMIC tubes that it runs in then through these outwards into its fins, then finally into the outside air passing across the fins. As your charge temp gets closer to the ambient temp it gets harder and harder to dump those last few degrees as the temp differential between inside and outside is less. Heat can only be dispersed into a relatively colder environment (e.g. when you open a fridge door, it's not letting out the cold, but letting in the warmer air outside).

It's impossible for the FMIC body or the charge air inside it to be the same as ambient temperature outside. You can get close, but never exactly the same and certainly not lower. If the charge temp inside the FMIC was colder, you'd start to see condensation on its outside and heat from the atmosphere would soak INTO the charge air, thus the thing would be working in the exact opposite way from intended, it would be warming up the charge as it went through the FMIC.