Notices

AVCR

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2007, 06:21 PM
DaveR5gtt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AVCR

Anybody else getting pissed off with there AVCR???
When i drive on full boost 1.3 bar its trying to adjust all the time sometimes goes up to 1.39 then backs off to 1.3 Its worse in cooler temps when air is denser. Tempted to put a dawes davice on and be done with it!! Just thought i'd have a moan.
steve.
Old 17 September 2007, 06:57 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

no its actually pretty good.
only drawback is it is also pretty complicated to setup correctly
could you please give us some of your settings to find out what might be the problem.
important are:
boost
dutycycle
feedback speed
learning gear
Old 17 September 2007, 07:08 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

have you got the learning option thing on? if so turn it off. As above though how have you got it set up, do you just run the one boost / duty level or do you have different boost levels set up for different rpms?
Old 17 September 2007, 08:32 PM
DaveR5gtt
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,
Learning gear is off. its on the x option i assume thats off.
I have 1 bar setting and 1.3. boost duty i was told to adjust untill it hit the desired boost.But it seems it needs adjusting depending on temp outside.
Havent looked into feedback speed yet. so could be that! You r prob right in that it needs more setting up.
Old 17 September 2007, 08:53 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

when you have set it up correctly you should end up with a boost and duty cycle dependant on rpm at least use 1K intervals in RPM I use something like:
2K, 3K, 3k5, 4k, 5k, 6k, 6k5, 7k

when starting from scratch I would do something like:
set boost target across rpm at 1.0Bar
set duty cycle acros rpm at 55%
set feedback speed at 5 at all gears.
set learning gear to O for third gear only.
set gear depend duty cycle to 1st: 5% 2nd: 3% 3th: 1% 4th: 0% 5th 0%
then find lonely road and do several pulls in third.
ideally is to log boost doing it or use a friend to watch boost on controller.
watch the dutycycle vs rpm the 55% values will be changed when learning.
If boost jumps around alot set feedback somewhat lower but Not zero.
if controller has learned duty's you can slowly start increasing boost untill you get at desired value.
Now turn learn gear off for all gears.
If all is right you now have correct duty's and boost values.
you can play around with the feedback speed. to high and boost becomes jumpy and to low results in target boost is not controlled correctly

hope this helps
Old 17 September 2007, 10:36 PM
DaveR5gtt
Scooby Regular

Mate that looks like alot off awesome info! I'll fiddle around and see what happens thanks again
steve.
Old 17 September 2007, 10:43 PM
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

I am looking into buying and fitting one of these so this is a good read for me!,at the mo my car has been mapped using an apexi pfc but makes different boost levels in different gears ie 1st = 1.1 2nd 1.2 3rd .1.3 4th 1.4 5th 1.5 bar?,will fitting an avc-r make the car hit 1.4 in every gear as i want it too?and stop it going as high as 1.5?,sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

Trending Topics

Old 17 September 2007, 11:07 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Just to answer a few questions and give me thoughts on the AVCR. I use one on my car BTW.

Use 4th gear for setting up the boost pressure and duty as it gives the most load on the engine.

Make sure you set up the throttle type and number of cylinders correctly before setting up the gear judge. This is a must if you are adjusting start duties for each gear.

Hardy-P1, the boost you see is fairly normal. You will struggle to hit full boost in first and to be honest you probably don't want to as this aint good for the transmission. An avcr can be used, with start duty set for each gear, to give closer to what you need in terms of the boost target for each gear. To clarify, there is less load on the engine in the lower gears, which generates less boost and generally requires a higher duty setting.

The overshoot you see with an AVCR is fairly normal. Mine overshoots from 1.4 to 1.45 bar and sometimes a little higher. Just make sure the fueling and map in general is ok for this. If it is higher than say 0.1 bar then something is a miss. You can have a duty profile like this

3k = 68
3.5k = 68
4k = 66
4.5k = 65
5k = 68
5.5k = 69

Where a spike at 4.5k is occurring. This is just an example.

Colder air will produce more boost and overshoot. Try having A set for summer and B a little lower just for occasions like cold mornings/nights.

Oh, and I never use self learning as it has caused me serious grief with settings. Some like it, some don't.

Wayne.

Last edited by Welloilbeefhooked; 17 September 2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 17 September 2007, 11:33 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

errr..........no problems with my AVCR

Set up by Andy Forrest and tweaked by Bob Rawle

Shaun
Old 17 September 2007, 11:37 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
errr..........no problems with my AVCR

Set up by Andy Forrest and tweaked by Bob Rawle

Shaun
I should have had mine set up by Andy. It would have saved me no end of time. I know what I'm doing now though.........I think!! LOL.

Wayne.
Old 18 September 2007, 12:29 AM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

just some additional infos
by changing the duty cycle levels you can change to amount of overboost.
the higher the more spiking it will have the lower the slower it will reach target boost.

h4rdy-p1: yes boost can be equal in all gears with the avcr

about learning mode you should first approximately set the avcr up. then select learning mode for one particular gear but no lower than third. fourth an fifth are better but the accompaning speed is a bit high. and not everyone have a german autobahn in their backyards.
a good way to get decent duty cycles. but turn it off when done.
Old 18 September 2007, 10:46 AM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Hi sorry for jumping in but I have just purchased a AVC-R and wondered if any of you have got any pics of the solenoid or map installed so I can see where to put mine, I have done searches through the sites but cant find any, also the wiring harness has a large plug on the end, how or where does this fit through the bulkhead?
Old 18 September 2007, 06:36 PM
RA95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sl1000
h4rdy-p1: yes boost can be equal in all gears with the avcr
I've never been able to achieve this on my car. Does this indicate it's not setup correctly or is it dependent on tha car (gear ratios and load etc)?

Peak boosts are somethign like:
1st 1.1bar
2nd 1.2
3rd 1.4
4th 1.5+
5th 1.5+

Running about 73% duty. Not sure I'd want 1.5 bar in first its nearly uncontrollable through an RA box as it is
Old 18 September 2007, 08:10 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

HAMYAM: solenoid is mounted near rightfront strut (same position as standard solenoid) and MAP sensor is at the back of the same strut between strut and firewall. I have made a special bracket for both. Please note Mine is european thus lefthand drive.
For wiring I have use a hole which is blocked by a rubber grommet. I think this is where the right hand drive steering axle comes out.
Maybe you can do same only on left side.

RA95:
First of all spool up in lower gears is much slower than higher gear thus some difference due to this effect will always be felt. But by using gear depent duty cycles you can correct boost to some degree.
In my case using TD05-18G boost is same from 2nd to 5th within 2psi.
1st gear is somewhat lower but this is something I prefer
BTW time with full throttle in 1st gear is so short turbo has difficulty to keep up

I would expect that the bigger the turbo the more compensation it needs between gears.
do you only use one duty for all rpm's?
and is boost vs rpm after spool up flat for all gear's? or still climbing towards high rpm?
Old 18 September 2007, 08:21 PM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

thanks for your help ,mine is all wired into the ecu just have to plumb in the engine bits
Old 20 September 2007, 12:53 PM
RA95
Scooby Regular

do you only use one duty for all rpm's?
Yes at the moment, was trying to get the thing to autolearn but for some reason it doesn't want to trigger into "autolearn" mode, even though this is turned on for 3rd gear. Do I need higher duty at lower RPM to get the turbo into the post spool zone asap?

When you say "gear dependent duty cycles" do you mean setting start duties?

and is boost vs rpm after spool up flat for all gear's? or still climbing towards high rpm?
The boost level is "flat" 1.5 bar in the same way as the duty cycle is constant at the moment. Does this need adjusted to more accurately reflect the boost my turbo can deliver (i.e. not reaching full 1.5bar until around 4k RPM?) Once my car hits peak boost it holds it all the way to 7k RPM easily.
Old 20 September 2007, 06:47 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

The following article helped me but I must admit that I never got it quite right until Pat Herborn set it up when he mapped my car with new turbo.

Installing APEXi AVCR - Page 3

Up to that point I was having huge overboost problems with the poor little VF24 boosting up to about 1.5bar. VFs in general do not like high boost.

No such boost probs with the TD05
Old 20 September 2007, 08:09 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

My interpretation of how the AVCR works is as follows:
Once you give full throttle (starting from no boost) the AVCR keeps the wastegarte closed by using 90% dutycycle. it does so until actual boost gets near to target boost. then it switches to dutycycle as setup in Dutycycle setting (rpm dependant, Plus startduty gear depedant).
Now the controller actually starts to regulate. (regulation is slow though)
If the current dutycycle is exactly right. then boost remains flat on target.
to low it won't reach target at first but duty's will be slowly increased untill it hit target.
To high it overshoot target and duty's is slowly reduced to finally hit target.

for learning to work it needs to hit target boost and be stable then it updates the duty settings with its current setting.

Originally Posted by RA95
Do I need higher duty at lower RPM to get the turbo into the post spool zone asap?
first of all use rpm dependant settings settings below spool up are not important.

When you say "gear dependent duty cycles" do you mean setting start duties?
yep

The boost level is "flat" 1.5 bar in the same way as the duty cycle is constant at the moment. Does this need adjusted to more accurately reflect the boost my turbo can deliver (i.e. not reaching full 1.5bar until around 4k RPM?) Once my car hits peak boost it holds it all the way to 7k RPM easily
No boost target below spoolup can be set higher than it can actually reach.
Controller will respond with 90% anyway thus keeping wastegate closed.
Old 21 September 2007, 07:36 PM
RA95
Scooby Regular

cool in that case my car simply doesn't make full boost in 1st/2nd since it doesn't stay in those gears for long enough to load the turbo.

It's an RA low ratio box, so 1st/2nd are no more than a quick blip of the pedal to go right through the RPM range. Sounds like I need to play with the settings a little since it should get full boost in 3rd and it doesn't quite make it.